4| Talisman

Jungkook woke up with a headache slicing through his head and a taste of iron on his tongue. He was burning up, sweat trickling down his forehead yet his body was shivering, stomach clenching and twisting all at once.

In conclusion, he felt like shit.

He opened an eye, the position he was in not helping at all the situation. His head, hanging on the side of the mattress, felt heavier than usual and sheets were all twisted around his limbs like snakes.

"Ughh," he let out, a half-gurgle coming out of his throat and echoing endlessly against the rocky walls.

Immediately, he looked down at his body, expecting his injured leg to be in shreds by now. To his surprise, however, it looked intact under his ripped cargos soaked in blood. Running a hand over the skin, he found out there wasn't even a scar left, which surely was a consequence of some kind of magic. He started grazing his head and neck as well, soon finding out his most recent wounds were all completely healed.

The realization that he was doing just fine dawned to him, a bit surreal after the horrors he had lived through the night before. The fact he still wasn't dead could difficulty be explained after two people had tried to kill him and had almost succeeded.

Finally, Jungkook started looking around, propped on his elbows and gazing at the room around him. It looked like some kind of old church basement, deserted except for two mattresses on the floor and a dusty table. The ceiling was curved, the naked cement of the walls covered in a chipped coat of beige paint and the floor was carpeted with dust and rubbish. The only source of light was a row of squared windows near the ceiling, metal bars preventing anyone to get in or out.

"You're awake," a voice said from the back of the room, hidden in the shadows.

Jungkook narrowed his eyes at the sight of the red glow illuminating the face of the girl who had saved him from the hunter, smoking a joint and peering at him through her thick raven curls. She was playing with a metal lighter with her other hand, flicking-it on and off. At her feet, the sword she had taken from the hunter was glinting faintly, the gold dragon of the handle looking alive with the flame of the lighter reflecting in its ruby eyes.

"What is this place?"

His voice was hoarser than usual, more shaky than he would have liked.

"We're still in Pyeongju, if that's what you're asking," she said, dragging on her joint with her index and thumb to then spit some smoke towards him.

The strong smell of burned herbs invaded the air, making Jungkook scrunch his nose.

"You're the one that healed me and brought me here?"

"That's right, I dragged you here last night. You got blood all over my cape," she confirmed, pointing with her chin towards the dusty table, where Jungkook assumed her cape was.

The piece of fabric was unrecognizable, looking more like a dead bear skin than anything else, covered in dry blood and taking a rusty colour under the beams of light coming from the windows. Now that Jungkook's eyes were used to the ambient obscurity, he could see the girl more clearly, sitting against the wall with her legs crossed and letting out smoke from time to time, head thrown back and eyes closed.

She was young, maybe his age, and her figure was rather delicate, petite even, with narrow hips and a tiny waist, dainty hands, a tawny skin that contrasted with the black curls falling over her shoulders and hazel eyes. However, the boy knew her elfin appearance didn't mean she didn't know how to fight. He could clearly remember her holding the sword like it weighed nothing while the hunter had to drag it with two hands.