Chapter 30

It was another day.

My fingers ached with the effort put in bending Winter's gold.

It's surprising how I wasn't even used to this already. Somewhat unnerving.

Whitingale quietly pushed open the double doors of the work room and walked over to me.

"Her majesty will see you now." She instructed.

Hard to say I did miss that sentence. Well... only a little.

Mañana, looking as ethereal as ever sat on her throne.

This would certainly not be a propitious hour for me.

Mañana signalled the guards and Whitingale to leave. She wanted to speak privately with me.

That thought made me shudder involuntarily.

She cleared her throat, snapping me away from the safe haven of my thoughts.

"I believe you've been trying to get luck on your side."

At first I didn't get what she was talking about, then, a wave of self realization washed over me.

"Paedemon?" I asked, my voice involuntarily weak.
"Yes. Paedemon." She replied.

"I... well no. I'm not... I serve you. Quilpxe is the one behind that I suppose."

At the mention at that name, I could have sworn I saw her silvery eyes twitch.

"Well that's good enough. I just hope you know what you're saying. I'll have you know I don't take kindly with those who commit treason."

I nodded.
She stepped closer to me, her majestic, powerful aura lingering in the air.

Slowly, she whispered something in my ear.

"I. Don't. Believe. You."

I gulped and shivered.

"And I won't hesitate to have your head on an iron rod."

I was even more uncomfortable now.
She eyed me as it searching for an answer somewhere.

I just nodded. My heart was in my mouth.

She sat back on her throne.
"And Kadeeja. How is Kadeeja doing?"

I kepplt my gaze fixed on my toes. "There was an attack. On her and Araya." I briefed.

I looked up. For a second hurt flickered in her cold eyes, presumably at the idea of Araya being attacked but, being the almighty evil queen of El Amores, that flicker, like magic was gone.

I bit my lip. Hoping soon this would be over and that I could leave here pretty soon so I could breathe without fear.

Mañana opened her mouth to say something but then she closed it.
She kept an expression that told you she was thinking about something.

Then she smiled.
Her winning smile.

I almost whimpered.

Did I tell her something she wanted oh so badly to hear?
I wasn't sure.

"Hanna." She called.
"Yes..." I croaked. "Yes." I added a bit more audibly to defend my last response.

"Go back to the workhouse. And work. Like you've never before. Something's just come up."

I took hesitant steps out of her presence.
Her words rang in my ears.

Something's just come up.