Chapter 18: I'll Protect You

We set out after Sasuke. The members of the retrieval team are Naruto, Neji, Choji, Kiba, me with Shikamaru as the squad leader.

Naruto: "We'll definitely bring Sasuke back."

I hope so. Sasuke seemed pretty determined to leave the village. Just what does Orochimaru want with Sasuke anyway?

We finally manage to catch up to them. They were resting. There were traps everywhere around them to alert them of anyone nearby. According to Shikamaru's plan, he wants us to fall into their trap so that he could cast his Shadow Possession jutsu.

Everything goes according to plan, except that we didn't count on them being able to escape it. One of the sound ninjas traps us in a dome made of stone.

Kiba: "I'll just have to break this dome down then."

Shikamaru: "Try it. We got nothing to lose."

Kiba: "Twirling Fang!"

"You made a dent!"

Kiba: "You see that! Wait what...?"

The wall... rebuilds itself? This is different from any normal earth dome.

Neji: "He's sucking out our chakra!"

Neiko starts hissing and getting agitated.

"Calm down. We'll make it out."

I guess Neiko is feeling that something is wrong with this structure as well.

Neji: "Akia... Your snake shares the same chakra as you."

"How can a snake have chakra?"

Neji: "I don't know, but according to what I see, it's like it has become an extension of you. You'll be losing chakra much faster than any of us, since it is shared between you and your snake."

Naruto: "Shikamaru! How do we get out of here?"

"Aaah!"

Kiba: "Akia! What's wrong?"

"My... chakra..."

Neji: "Her chakra is changing..."

The curse mark is trying to take over. I can't...

Naruto: "Akia!"

I black out.

When I come back to it, I realize that the earth dome is gone.

Shikamaru: "Way to go Choji."

Kiba: "Akia, you've regained consciousness?"

Neji: "Your chakra sure regenerates fast."

Neiko is still with me. That's a relief. My curse mark still burns a little.

Choji: "You guys go ahead. I'll take care of this."

Naruto: "Are you sure?"

Choji: "Yes! Now go catch up to Sasuke!"

I can't help but feel a little worried about Choji. I just hope he won't die.

We continue our chase when another sound ninja intercepts us. This time, Neji distracted him long enough for the rest of us to go after Sasuke.

We catch up with the two remaining sound ninja. We start fighting against them when Kiba drags one of them and falls down the cliff.

Naruto: "Kiba! Akamaru!"

That's when a shinobi I've never seen before appears.

"Tayuya, why are you taking so long to bring the vessel?"