Chapter 41: Explosion

I sense huge amounts of chakra. I must be getting close. I need to approach them unnoticed and analyse the situation. If things start getting too dangerous before reinforcements arrive, if there's anyone even available, I'll go back to the village.

I find the perfect spot to hide in one of the trees surrounding the scene and I start to look closely at the scene unfolding beneath me.

As I thought, Deidara now has a new partner. He seems... odd. He has a swirly orange mask. Now for the people they're going up against... what? Sasuke? Why?

Sasuke: "I'll ask again, where is Itachi?"

Deidara: "Why would we ever tell you that?"

He's looking for Itachi... Can he stand a chance against two Akatsuki?

Sasuke slashes through Deidara's new partner. It goes right through him, but he remains unharmed. He's much stronger than he looks. Who is he?

Deidara: "You're better than I thought, Tobi."

Tobi? Is that his name? I'll have to report this to Lady Tsunade.

Deidara and Tobi simultaneously attack Sasuke. Sasuke sees through all the attacks and counters them. A few explosions from Deidara cloud my view. I can still sense them though.

"A Konoha spy..."

Who...? I turn around and find Tobi standing behind me. That's crazy! I didn't even feel him coming. He's no ordinary shinobi...

Tobi: "You're Orochimaru's daughter, aren't you?"

"How did you..."

Tobi: "It's none of my business, really. If it's your mission to just stand there and spy, I won't stop you. It's not like it'll change anything. I need to attend to some things, but, believe me, I'll see you again."

He disappears... Just like that... Is he just going to abandon his partner? He's definitely strange... and powerful.

Sasuke: "I already found all your weaknesses. Give up while you can."

Deidara: "I haven't said my last word yet... My last piece of art!"

I sense an extreme amount of chakra. What's he planning? He reveals a stitched up mouth on his chest. He has another mouth there too? Why is it stitched up? He can't be... Last piece of art... A suicide bomb? I have to get away while I can this could be a much bigger scale than any of his previous explosions. Sasuke also got the cue that it was time to evacuate the area. Deidara unstitches the mouth on his chest and feeds it a huge amount of clay.

I start getting as far away as I can. Let's hope I get far enough. I hear Deidara's voice from behind me.

Deidara: "Art is an explosion!"

Dammit!!

I open my eyes and find myself in the forest. What happened? My head hurts...

I touch the back of my head and find a slight bump and some blood smears my hand. Did I get hit on the back of my head?

I remember now... I was getting away from Deidara's suicide bomb. I got hit on the head by a branch that flew from the explosion. That guy's insane. I guess I should go look for his remains, if anything is left.

I should cover the whole explosion area. I need help for that.

"Mud Clone Jutsu."

I make five mud clones and we start covering the area and looking for Deidara or more like his remains.

After a while of searching, one of my clones finds him. I get to where he is to examine his condition.

I get there and see Deidara lying on his back. His chest is covered with blood and he's half carbonized. He's barely recognisable.

Deidara coughs blood out. He's still alive after all this? He looks at me.

Deidara: "You're that snake's daughter..."

He even has the strength to babble aimlessly. He really pisses me off, even when he's on the verge of dying.

"What's it to you now? You're half-dead."

Deidara: "I could survive..."

"Not if I end your life myself."

Deidara: "What did I ever do to make you kill me...?"

"You made Gaara suffer."

I won't let that jerk survive this, even if it's my mission to do so. I'll kill him. Besides, it's more merciful than what will be waiting for him at the interrogation.

Deidara: "Wouldn't your village want me alive?"

"They do, but I don't."

I take out my sword from my mouth.

Deidara: "The same sick tricks as Orochimaru..."

I hold the sword a few inches away from his head, right in between his eyes. All I need to do now is push down and he'll be gone.

Deidara: "That could be counted as treason towards your village..."

"That's if anyone sees this. All I'll be saying is that you killed yourself. There's enough proof for that."

I'll transform him into ashes with a fire jutsu after I kill him. There won't be anything left.

Deidara: "What if there is someone who's spying on you...? Not that it matters to me... It'd be better if you end my life right now..."

"And that's exactly what I'll do."

I press down on my sword and...

Deidara: "Ah!"

Blood gushes out of his head. Now to erase all evidence.

"Fire style: Fireball jutsu"

Deidara's body catches on fire and starts to get consumed. The stench is unbearable. I watch as his skin burns away and he slowly transforms into ashes. Was it the right thing to do? To kill him like that? To ignore my mission? It doesn't seem like it matters to me right now. All I feel is that there's one less person in the world who can hurt Gaara.

I head back to the village to report the results of my mission: Deidara used a suicide bomb and nothing remains.