- 18 -

Merlin awoke suddenly to the feeling of icy water sloshing over his head. He instantly became aware of the two guards who were securing his arms as he came back to consciousness. As soon as he opened his eyes, he started.

Because Uther was standing very close, right in front of him. A little too close for comfort, Merlin thought. But then comfort wasn't really Uther's main priority right now.

A sharp slap to the face proved the point. "He may have been proved innocent boy, but that does nothing to change the severity of your crimes. You have committed treason and you will be punished accordingly."

Despite his harsh words, Merlin could see that something inside Uther had changed. Something in his face, in his eyes, was softer, warmer. More human. He sighed in relief. He had bought enough time.

"I hope you realise that in a time of war I would have you flogged."

"But it's not a time of war so..."

"Indeed it isn't. So a week in the stocks should teach you the lesson you deserve."

Seeing the mortified look on Merlin's face, Uther added, "Don't worry. You'll be staying out there at night as well."

"I saved your son's life."

"You disobeyed my laws. The consequences of your actions are of no importance here. I suggest you stop talking before you make this any worse for yourself." He gestured to the guards to take Merlin to the stocks.

"But-"

Uther ignored him as he was dragged away. He waited until the council had left before collapsing back onto his throne in utter exhaustion and finally allowing himself to smile. Arthur was innocent, he had convicted a real traitor and his guards were on their way to the sorcerer's house to arrest the man behind all this. All would be well. He sighed in satisfaction.

All would be well.