Chapter 2 - Hope

̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ »̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

What's the truth? What's true? I think we each have our own truth. We all have things we keep hidden. Sometimes, keeping secrets is how you survive. Because in high school--one rumour--one picture--one incident can define you forever. And the truth doesn't even matter.

̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ »̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

ZACH AND I are dressed and ready for another day at liberty. Making our way downstairs, Mrs Dempsey is already sitting at the dining table, ready for what looks to be an important conversation. She doesn't even give us time to sit down before she starts.

"Barry emailed me last night. He said it was Bryce's idea. That Bryce had asked you two yesterday"

Zach and i share a look of confusion. "Asked us what?"

"If you wanted to use their lawyer. I know you said no yesterday Dixie but the Walkers lawyer is very good. I don't want either of you going onto the stand without some professional guidance. That sort of thing can ruin an innocent persons life" I tense up at the phrase innocent person. I wasn’t innocent in this whole nightmare, neither was her treasured son.

"We can find our own lawyer mom"

The older lady shakes her head at the tall boy. "At times like this, you both really should use your associations"

Thankfully, Zach's phone starts to ring. He excuses himself from the increasingly awkward conversation leaving Mrs Dempsey and I alone.

"Look, I know you and Bryce are on rocky terms but I really think his family lawyer is your best shot right now. Sweetheart, you will never be able to afford a good lawyer. Even if you get 13 jobs it will not be enough. I'm sorry to say but the Walkers are your only hope"

Zach ends his phone call and announces to his mom that it was Bryce on the other end of the phone asking him to get a few throws in before practice. I knew instantly that Zach was lying but I followed his lead as I didn't want to be in the conversation with Mrs Dempsey anymore. Getting into his prized Audi, Zach explains to me that it was Alex who called him. He didn't want to be driven to school by his dad in the cop car. Arriving at school, the boys take the side entrance and I decide to be lazy and take the main.

̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ »̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

When rumours spread, you can fight them or just ignore them but they never really go away. When you're the target you do anything you can to protect yourself. Sometimes you hide, sometimes you fight back. Anything you have to do. Because the thing is in high school, everyone's watching you all the time. You have to protect yourself anyway you can. So that's exactly what I did.

̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ »̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

MRS DEMPSEY'S words from this morning were still ringing in my ears as I deposit my books into my locker. I quickly grab the stuff i need for my first few classes. Looking to my right, I notice a group all gathered around Bryce's locker. I know what I need to do but my pride is preventing me moving forward. Mrs Dempsey was right. I need the Walkers lawyer. I know that, Zach knows that and Bryce knows that. I swore to myself I would not take anymore of his bribes but this is something I need to do. Without a good lawyer, I'll be thrown to the wolves when my turn in court comes around.