Chapter 8 - Shatter

̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ »̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

THIS MORNING WAS the first time in months that i have woken up in my own bed. Not on the blow up mattress that Mrs Dempsey had so kindly given to me. This is the first time in months that I haven't had Zach's silly face smiling down at me. Today, I'm met with a smile that belongs to Monty De La Cruz. Last night I received a call from my mom telling me that my dad was in the hospital. Zach and Mrs Dempsey were too busy arguing so I called the first person that came to the front of my mind, Monty.

He picked me up, drove me to the hospital and stayed by my side all night. It turns out dad had ended up having a stroke. The doctor says he'll be ok but he has some things he needs to work on. Mostly his drinking. The only good thing to come out of last night is the fact that mom and I are on speaking terms again. We've agreed to be civil and work on things. I'm allowed to move back into my house and, even better, Monty is allowed to stay overnight with no snide comments from mom.

We stroll into Liberty to see that Jess and Zach had hung a banner for Alex's birthday. With all the drama of last night I completely forgot it was his birthday and i'd also forgot to RSVP to his mom's invitation. Monty and I walk over and join the trio.

"Hey, happy birthday Alex! I'm so sorry I forgot to answer your mom's invite. I'll be there for your party tonight" I explain

"Thanks. It's okay. This is all really nice guys. Really really nice actually"

"Aww happy birthday buddy! Sweet banner. Is your mom bringing cupcakes?" Bryce mocks as he approaches our little group.

"I hope she brings enough for the whole class" Jamie adds.

Bryce walks over to Alex and throws his arm around his shoulder. "Maybe you'll get a new cane this year too huh?"

"Knock it off Bryce" Zach warns darkly.

"Fuck you, you fucking rapist!" Alex blurts out.

"Dude, shit like that doesn't do anybody any good" Zach says quietly.

"Yeah well it felt good to me. Maybe if you'd stop defending him all the time"

"Alex man, you don't understand. Non of us are defending him" Zach explains to the angered boy.

"Jess babe, are you okay?" I ask the brown haired girl noticing she had gone very quiet.

"Why would you do that?" Jess whispers meekly before running off the class.

̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ »̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

BIDDING THE PAIR farewell, I go to the locker room to get ready for an assembly we were having. Getting into my cheer uniform I hear a hushed conversation between some of my squad mates. It seems the news about Alex exploding at Bryce has travelled fast. I look at Chloe and can't help but wonder if Bryce has done anything to her. When everyone is dressed and ready, Chloe calls us into a circle. She goes over the routine quickly and reminds us of our places. Today I'm not the flyer as another girl wanted the opportunity to prove herself. Hopefully she does so I don't need to be a flyer anymore. I prefer my two feet on the ground and not in girls hands that I have zero trust for.

The squad runs out into the assembly hall with the baseball team after them. Our two teams do a routine together and then Chloe takes the mic. As she is about to talk, Bryce produces a bouquet of flowers and hands them to her with a kiss. I roll my eyes at the pair. Does he really think a bunch of flowers will dispell the rumours? Chloe introduces Marcus as the MC for the assembly. He runs out in our cheerleading outfit. The whole of the baseball team find it hilarious, especially Monty. I can't help but smile when i see him so amused. His nose wrinkles up and he gets these little crinkly lines by his eyes. It's rare to see Monty actually laugh. It's common to see his fake laugh around the group.