Chapter 9 - Reckoning

̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ »̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

I've never really felt loved or fully included in anything. So that's why I was so thankful that I had a friend right from the get go. School has always been easy because of said friend and my family name. Liberty was no different. The moment I started, I knew that I could fit myself into whatever narrative I wanted. So I chose to be a cheerleader.

̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ »̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

TODAY WAS THE DAY. It was my turn in court. This morning I couldn't even look at a piece of toast without feeling sick to my stomach. Monty wanted to attend the hearing but I forced him to go to school knowing he had the ribbon cutting ceremony and knowing I'd probably break down seeing him sitting in the gallery. After much debate with my mom, I wear her choice of outfit which is a black blazer, white shirt and black skirt. Selfishly, I wish my dad was feeling better and could take me to court instead of my mom but he really isn't up to it. Before giving my testimony I meet up with Bryce's lawyer. He runs me through what Dennis could ask and what to expect.

My mom and I wait for us to be called in. My phone dings signalling I've got a text message. I hurriedly grab my phone out of my bag and see it's a message from Monty wishing me good luck and telling me not to rush back to school. Before I have time to think on his message, I get called into the courtroom. I swear in, lock eyes with my mom and take a seat on the stand.

"Miss Miller, how are you this morning?" Dennis asks politely.

I push a strand of hair behind my ears. "I'm doing ok. Just nervous"

"I'll just get straight into this. How did you meet Hannah Baker?"

"Um, I first met Hannah when the Bakers moved in across the street. My mom likes to personally greet all of the new neighbours. Mrs Baker kindly invited us in"

He crosses his arms across his chest. "What was your first impression of Hannah?"

"She seemed nice. Quiet but that's understandable"

"Did you hang out with Hannah after meeting her and her parents?"

I nod my head. "A few times. We had coffee and we attended the same parties"

"How would you describe your relationship with Hannah?"

My heart starts to race, the questions were getting more intense. "I wouldn't say we were friends. We were just--i don't know. Civil?"

"Civil? But Hannah attended your abortion with you?"

"Objection, what's the relevance?" Sonya interjects.

"Withdrawn. How do you find Liberty High?" Dennis carries on.

"I use to enjoy Liberty. These days not so much" I say, looking down at my hands wishing they would stop shaking.

"Why not?"

Looking back up, I try to avoid eye contact with anyone. "It's just stressful. Classes, cheer, friends. It's just hard right now"

"Did you ever witness Hannah getting picked on at school?"

"Yeah a few times"

"Describe an incident for me"

"Just a lot of name calling. Names like slut, Hannah big butt. Just immature stuff" I say with a shrug of my shoulder.

"Did you ever join in?"