Chapter 7 - Heartache

̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ »̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

I keep to myself mostly. I don't always tell people things. I'm not good with drama. I learnt pretty early on not to rock the boat, to stay in my lane. I try not to be a bully. I try not to be a victim. It's a tough line to walk. It's a tough school. It's especially tough on girls. It was for Hannah.

̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ »̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

TODAY WAS THE day. It's Zach's turn to testify, which means a few days later it's my turn. I can tell Zach is nervous. His hands were shaking as he buttoned his shirt. Wearing a suit isn't going to make him any less responsible but Mrs Dempsey wants him to look sharp. I finish up my breakfast as Zach walks into the kitchen to show his mom his court attire.

The older lady walks over to her son, attempting to smooth out the small wrinkles in his suit. "You look good. Very sharp. Are you ready for this?"

"Yeah I'm ready. All ready"

"You'll do great. You're a good boy Zach. The best son a mother could have" She pinches his cheek causing the tall boy to blush.

"Don't worry mom. I'll be fine"

"Good luck zman. Call me as soon as you're done ok?" I say giving him a big hug.

"Yeah ok. Will do. See you later"

Monty offered me a ride to school which i gladly accepted. The ride to school wasn't silent. It was like non of the drama between us had happened. It was a nice piece of normality. Walking into school together, neither of us missed the stares from our peers. We were obviously about to become the mornings gossip. I'm sure we'd be old news when that blog wrote about Zach's testimony. The first few classes rolled by without too many issues. I was about to deposit my unneeded books back into my locker when Ryan Shaver appeared next to me.

"So, you and Cruz are back together?"

I look him up and down. I've never been Ryan's biggest fan but lately, my dislike had grown. "No we're not. What do you want?"

"As sweet as ever aren't you Dixie?" He scoffs.

"We don't talk, ever. So clearly you want something. So what is it because I've got to get to practice" I remark, already sick of his presence.

"Talking about practice, can I ask you a question about your busy cheer life?" I roll my eyes and nod my head to answer his question. "You ever heard of a place called the clubhouse?"

Time stands still for a second. How did he know about that place. "What do you know about the clubhouse?" I question knowing no good will come of him asking about the shed the jocks had elected as 'their place'.

"Just that it's a place that jocks hang out maybe? I thought I'd ask you because, well you know--you've been very friendly with more than your fair share of 'em"

I let out a small laugh and his attempt to insult me. "Goodbye Ryan. Do yourself a favour and don't ask too many questions about that place" Now more than slightly annoyed, I make my way to practice still wondering why Ryan Shaver wanted to know about the clubhouse.

̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ »̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶