Chapter 13 - Justice

̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ »̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

I thought a long, long time about what to say today. How to pay tribute but also to tell the truth.

̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ »̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

1 Month Later
Tuesday;

So much had changed in one month. 4 short weeks had created so much drama. The season at liberty had been cancelled. Tyler had been sent to a special behavioural school but has now returned back to Liberty. The whole dynamic at Liberty High had changed, not for the better. The divides between groups of people growing bigger. Today is the day of sentencing for Justin and Bryce. After news of the arrests went public, so many girls had come forward with their own stories of sexual assault or harassment. Today wasn't just for Jess and I. It was for all those girls. All those women. For Hannah.

We take our seats in court. Jess next to her parents and I next to my mom and Monty. Bryce stands to address the judge, looking fake as hell in non prescription glasses and a suit paid for on daddy's credit card. Looking over to the opposite side of the courtroom, Mrs Walker stares at me with a guilty look in her eyes. I give her a small smile, mentally reminding myself to talk to her after all this is over. The sound of Bryce's voice turns my attention back to the front.

"It truly hurts me to think that my actions have caused anyone emotional distress. When I think of the pain that I may have caused, I-I just...Well, I feel awful. Every day, I wish that I could go back in time. I was used to a certain culture of partying and hookups, and many of us never questioned it, but it is time to question it and I know that I need to be the one to set an example. I'm... I'm trying every day to be a better man, to be the man that my parents raised me to be and to be a positive influence at Liberty High. It is my sincerest hope that you will allow me to do so. Thank you, sir"

"Does the county accept the allocution?"

"We do, your honor. Prior to sentencing, the victims would like to exercise their right to make their own statements"

"Proceed" The judge says with a wave of his hand. Jess goes first. I turn around in my seat and give her hand a squeeze, as much for myself as for Jess. Before Jess starts talking my mom throws her arm around my shoulders, pulling me in close to her, while Monty rests his hand on my knee.

"Your honor, thank you for the opportunity to address the court. If its alright, for the first part of my statement I'd like to address the defendant directly. The first weekend in September, my parents were out of town and my little brothers were at their grandparents. I wanted to host a party like I thought a popular cheerleader should. My boyfriend was there. Your friend Justin. We had been drinking. We decided to go up to my room. I remember making out with him and then I...And then I started to fall asleep or...or pass out.I just... I remember thinking that I just needed to close my eyes for a few minutes.Then he...Then he walked out of the room and then I remember waking up to you pulling off my underwear. I remember feeling you push yourself inside of me. I may not remember all of the details, but I will never forget the sheer terror of feeling your weight on top of me, of not being able to breathe. Your Honor, when we leave this courtroom, Bryce Walker gets to leave convinced that he chose the wrong girl to have sex with. I get to leave constantly looking over my shoulder for monsters dressed up as the popular kid, constantly on edge and assuming the worst in every boy. The sentence you decide today can tell Bryce Walker what he did was wrong. It can say that to every boy, every man who behaves like he does and it can say to victims like me that our story matters. Thank you"