HUMAN

Hours had passed and it was completely dark outside. I was sitting on top of Damon's bed and hadn't heard anything from Rose in about 20 minutes. Perhaps she'd passed out from exhaustion already. I grabbed a stake from the top drawer before moving the chest of drawers away from the door. Hesitantly, I unlocked the door and opened it very slowly, peaking out to see if Rose was anywhere on the other side of the door. However, she was nowhere to be seen. I let out a sigh of relief. 

I walked down the stairs with the stake in my hand, preparing myself for what I might have had to do if it came down to it. 
When I got to the bottom of the stairs, I still couldn't see her and the house was completely calm. Something felt very off about the atmosphere surrounding me but still, I gripped onto the stake tighter than ever as I feared for my life. 

I looked into the library before looking into the living room. Nothing. Eventually, I turned round and noticed that the front door was completely wide open. She was gone. Slowly, I edged closer to the door when suddenly, I felt a presence behind me. 

Quickly, I turned round and pointed the stake at the vampire standing behind me but felt a wave of relief overcome me as I was looking into Damon's eyes. He looked down at the stake in my hand before looking at me. As I dropped the stake to the ground, I found myself falling into my boyfriend's arms and he comforted me. Finally, I was safe. 

"You okay? Where's Rose?" He asked me

I looked him in the eyes and hesitated before responding with, "I don't know." 
Suddenly, Damon's phone started ringing and he looked at me apologetically before answering it.
"Liz, what's up?" He said when he raised his phone to his ear.
I couldn't hear what Liz had said to him but the look on Damon's face told me that it wasn't good news.
"Of course! I'll be right there." He told her before hanging up.

"What's going on?" I asked him, worriedly.
"A vampire in the town square." He sighed.
"Do you think it's Rose?" I questioned.
"Most likely, yes," He answered as he put his phone into his jacket pocket. "Wait here, don't go anywhere. I'll try to be home as soon as I can."
I nodded my head, looking him in the eyes.
"Please be careful. All day, she's been freaking out and hallucinating. She tried to kill me multiple times." I informed him.
"I'll be safe. I promise." He planted a soft kiss on my lips before grabbing the stake from the floor and walking out of the house.

I wandered into the living room and poured myself a glass of bourbon. When I sat myself down on the sofa and took a sip of the bourbon, I took a deep breath.

What a day.

About 40 minutes had passed and I was starting to get worried about Damon. I picked up my phone and started calling him, just as he walked through the door, carrying Rose in his arms. I placed my phone down on the sofa and stood up.
"Is she okay? What happened?" I asked him.
"Everything's okay," He assured me. "I'm going to take her upstairs." 
I followed him up the stairs and into the spare bedroom, where he gently put Rose down into the bed. After a short while, she opened her eyes and looked up at Damon.

"Hi there." Damon whispered.
"I'm sorry." Rose sighed.
"You tried to kill my girlfriend then went on a murderous rampage. It happens." Damon joked.
"I'm sorry, Luna," Rose looked over Damon's shoulder and saw me standing behind him. "I don't like taking human life. I never have. That's the worst about about death-the hunt. The need to kill. The thirst. The pleasure it brings you afterwards. I wasn't meant to be evil. It hurts."

"Well then stop talking about it." Damon told her. 
"I'm sorry for what I've done today." Rose told me.
"I know." I muttered.
"And you need to fight. I know that you're scared but you have to do it anyway." She advised me. Suddenly, she started coughing and gagging again. I pushed past Damon and sat down by Rose's side to comfort her. I took her hand in mine and she looked at me.

"Why are you so nice to me?" She asked me.
"Us humans... " I muttered.
"You can never forget it; what it's like to be human. It haunts me. It's the only thing that's kept me going," She informed me. "It doesn't hurt so much anymore."
I smiled at her before, suddenly, she started groaning, screaming and rolling around in the bed.

"What do we do?" I looked up at Damon, worriedly.
"Go." He told me. I stood up from the back and slowly, walked backwards. Damon took my place and sat down beside Rose, taking her in his arms to try and calm her down.
"Damon..." I mumbled. 
"Just go. I've got this." He assured me.

Following his instructions, I nodded my head and left the room, closing the door securely behind me.