Chapter 2: The Most Awaited Birth

It was raining heavily in the mortal realm when I arrived. "Ah, the rain is ruining my clothes." I mumbled to myself.

I make myself invisible to mortal eyes as I enter into the palace. The main hall was in chaos.

Something is wrong in the air. Like the smell of rotten sandalwood invades my nostrils. Not a good omen at all. Especially at time of birth.

Suddenly a maid rushes towards the Mother Dowager. She whispers something.

Abruptly a woman's loud howl echo throughout the palace. The sound of heavy thud follows next.

If I don't interfere, something worse may happen.

"No matter what happens, don't use your qi in mortal realm. You'll suffer a huge spiritual backlash." Yu Hai's words repeat in my mind.

"Spiritual backlash." I scoff.

But I can't use qi here anyways. Or else some arrogant God would come to know about this whole ordeal. And I can't let this happen. Even if it takes a thousand year to solve this mess, I'll still happily do. I can't disappoint Yun Guniang. She didn't sacrifice herself in vain.

"The North Gates have been infiltrated." Someone yelps.

My palms itch in discomfort. I can't do anything but watch as people are going to be massacred.

***

I exhale a long heavy breath as I enter into the Consort's Chamber.

The anarchy in here hits me differently. Like an incoming doom. I can't do anything even if the Heavens permitted me to it.

The stench of blood nauseates an immortal soul like me. The Consort is hemorrhaging from the long strenuous birth. Still there is no sign of baby coming out.

The view is mesmerizing and inappropriate at the same time. I'm stripping a precious moment off some other man. A man who belongs to this woman. And I'm being selfish, I'm prioritizing Lady Yun Fang over these pitiful mortals.

"Yun Xi." The Consort murmurs repeatedly as the midwife pleads the Consort to push. Her breath is shallow. Her eyes roll upwards. She is exhausted past her limit.

I close my eyes. How will Yun Xi survive in such a place. 'Yun Xi' is pretty ironic name for a girl with 'The Curse of Eternal Tragedies'.

Sudden cries of a baby invade my deep thoughts. Finally, I can take a breath of relief.

The Consort the out of no where turns her fatigued visage, facing me. Can she see me? But she shouldn't.

"I have done my part. Thus, I hand her over to you." She smiles is soft like heavenly silk. Sweat droplets drip from her forehead like bodily rain.

Soon her chest stops moving. Few questions would be forever unanswered.

Everything stills in fraction of seconds. So silent that I can hear her few last sweat droplets to touch the ground.

I just stand frozen, staring at the lifeless body of the Consort. Her smile not fading at all.

Another sacrifice, another tragedy.

"Hua Yun Fang, how great are you?" I mumble to the air.

"Tragic beginnings do not end with tragic endings." I remembered the astrologer's words.

The Dowager's eyes lit up when she holds the baby Yun Xi. Even with her memory erased, she still radiates a heavenly aura.

"Aiya, look at your tiny hands." Dowager cooed to the baby. "Consort Zhi chose a good name for you. Right?" The baby giggled in response.

The tiny drop of happiness in the pool of sadness reminds me of Yin and Yang.

I have to protect the palace. Backlash or Gods of Thirteen Heavenly Skies won't be able to stop me.

I felt the surge of power in my fingertips. I then created a barrier around the palatial chamber. This would protect them from any mishap.

I then take out my Ru Sha, the soul reaping sword and step in the battle field. I may not last here much due to backlash.

"I knew you would step into the battlefield." Yu Hai smirks as he takes out his sword.

The battlefield has turned into a lake of blood.

We arrive to aid quite late as a thousand arrows rain over the now dead Emperor.

I sink to my knees and yell in frustration. "Cain Tou, the mortal world doesn't always work the way we want. Look to the brighter side." He whispers.

"Brighter side." I scoff. "Look around us, nothing is bright except bright red colour of blood."

"This is how a mortal's life work, Cian Tou. There will always be disparities among people, they would always retaliate in response. And wars aren't fun."

We were walking peacefully around the lush green mortal mountains. "If you are satisfied with how the events turned out, let's go back." He suggested.

I pause. "I want to see Yun Xi to grow."

"You can always keep an on her fate. But staying here for long will not only cause a backlash but also alert the arrogant Hua Jiang Guan."

"Right, he still has no idea where her niece is. How irresponsible of him." I chuckled.

***

Fa Jing's breathing has improved a lot. But she is still in deep slumber, unaware of what is happening outside. I caress her forehead, brushing of stray strands of hair away.