Chapter 9: A Loss Of Thousand Lives

We all were ready to depart for Suzhou but suddenly a group of distressed South Wing soldiers’ barge through the main entrance.

“Crown Prince Fang.” They bowed.

“Is something wrong?” Yun Xi stepped out her palanquin. “Crown Prince… Chief Consort save the capital.”

“Commander Liu has revolted.”

I couldn’t believe my ears. I always thought he was the most trustworthy man but apparently everything is a lie. The capital is in danger, my father is imprisoned.

“Lord Yao Zhi, we should get ready for war.” Lord Gu suggested. “Hao.” I agreed. We have to get ready for the war.

I turned to face Yun Xi.

Her eyes were shining. I caressed her face. I know she may despise me because of our family history, but she is the most rational woman.

“Yun Er…” My breath is ragged. I don’t know what to say. “I know my Lord. You don’t need to explain this to me.”

No matter how much she is understanding, this still breaks my heart.

“But.” She pauses and gestures a maid to come. She begins taking off her jewellery. “I’ll accompany you.”

“I’m your wife, and it is my duty to protect you. Even if…”

Suddenly I pulled her in my arms. I chuckled when everybody else turned their faces away as the know the cue.

“Don’t say that ever again.” I whispered as I nudged her nose.

I have died protecting you one, I’ll die again. Even if we shall come across after several eternities.’ My subconscious mind said.

Slowly her arms crept on my shoulders. “Lord Yao Zhi.” She sighed. “It’s Yao Zhi for you, you hold the right to call me Yao Zhi.” I caressed her. I finally put my lips on her.

Her embrace was warm. It was hard for me letting her go. Suddenly a soft breeze blew. Her long hair tangled me more. Is this a sign for me, to never let her go?

She squirmed, not because of discomfort but as a reminder of reality. We can’t live forever in sweetness, sometimes we have to taste the bitter nature of reality.

***

(Intermission: Gu Cian Tou)

I can’t help but stare at them. Instead of jealousy, I can finally sigh in relief. After all my predictions can’t be wrong. I silently chuckled.

Yun Xi doesn’t need my assistance anymore. I have to cease this opportunity and vanish in thin air. No matter how many times I have prepared myself for the future, the departure is going to be painful. Yao Zhi might be sad too, after all his love competitor is about leave.

I wonder how Yun Guniang is doing these days, is she properly breathing? What if she has opened her eyes finally? Would she remember me saving her?

***

(Yun Fa Jing P.O.V.)

“No.” I yelled out loud, breaking away from the meditation. “Fa Jing, are you okay?” Yu Hai asked worriedly. His hair was untied, his white robe was translucent. Was he taking bath?

Soon I noticed the smoke around me, the Heavenly Lotuses were on fire.

“I think something terrible is going to happen in Mortal World.” I whispered, terrified of my own voice. The upcoming bloodshed is too vivid. 

He chuckled. “You worry too much.”

I have never heard a concern being addressed so cruelly and bluntly. It makes me sad and angry at the same time.

“Mortal life is filled with tragedy. We can’t interfere with the order of life, even if we want to.” He said as he cupped my face by his palms. “But, what about Lord Gu?” I blinked my eyes unable to form any emotions.

“He hasn’t used his power, and anyways he is returning soon.”

“Hao, I will believe you if you say so.” I gave him a soft smile. “Were you in the springs?” I pointed at his appearance. His cheeks turned red in embarrassment. His long sleek hair was wet, water was dripping from them like waterfalls in Yuju Realm. The water made the white robe translucent slowly.

“Well, Yun Guniang…” He playfully pulled me into his arms. “Apparently yes, until you…” He whispered but abruptly stopped.

“Let me give you a bath as a compensation.” I blurt out I don’t want this sweet moment to end.

I don’t know if this is truth or just an emotional lie, I love this realm better than the Heaven.

“Are you thinking about something? Hmmm…” He nudged my nose with his cold finger tips. I couldn’t help but giggle. “Nothing important.”

***

(Fang Yao Zhi contd.)

The sound war horns were getting louder as we were getting closer to the capital. I can’t believe three fourth of the army revolted against us.

“Yao Zhi, this world is ever changing.” Yun Xi sighs out of the blue. She continues to ride the horse straight-faced. Or trying hard to contain her emotions. “No matter what the outcome is, do not blame yourself.” Her voice was shaking as if she is preventing herself from crying.

“What are you implying my beloved Consort?” I tried to joke. But she refrains herself from answering me.

She would either say something serious or scold me for joking when there is inevitable loss of thousand lives. Anyways, I shouldn’t joke at this hour.

We were surrounded as soon as we touched the ‘Weeping Plains’. I never understood the reason to name such beautiful place, ‘Weeping Plains’, till today. After all no matter who wins, many would become lifeless and soulless of ragged dead bodies.

My wife’s personal maid rolled up her sleeves. Her wrist has a distinct tattoo. It didn’t take me long to remember the famous Emei symbol, ‘Flower of Lies’.

Wasn’t she a gift from Empress Dowager? “Well played Empress Dowager.” I silently chuckled.

I remember once my father told me the Dowager was a woman from Jianghu. But I always thought it was a rumour.

I sigh, Empress Dowager is a strong woman. She is still politically relevant, even if we are ruling this land. Till she is alive, it is ‘her land’. And we stole from her.

But now somebody else is stealing from us.

Somebody clapped as he made his way out of the rebel army. They had 750,000 people in their army while we had 250,000 men.

To my not so surprise it is the familiar person.

“Ah, you are finally here.” Commander Liu said.

“Alas, you are four days late.” He pointed at the now burnt ruins of the Capital Palace. I tightened my grip on the sword.