Chapter 8: The Forgotten Memory Of Love

Shi Ren taught me Emei martial arts. Still I missed Lord Gu’s jokes, positivity and support. She paused abruptly.

“Xi Jie, do you really love Crowned Prince?” Shi Ren asked. I couldn’t help but chuckle. “Some marriages are just to play the part you are supposed to play and fulfil the duties.” I sighed. The sword fell with a clank as I let go of it. 

“But are you supposed to be enemies?” 

“Alas, fate doesn’t work the same way.” I stretched myself. “It might be, we were meant to be lovers in previous life. You’ll never know what fate has for you.”

“But this doesn’t answer my question, do you love him or not…”

“I wish the answer could be as easy as any other ‘yes’ or ‘no’ question. He is trying his best to keep me happy, but at the same time the marriage feels nothing more than a peace treaty.”

“Why don’t you take him to Suzhou? Being away from palace life would ease him, and you get to know him better.” 

***

(Gu Cain Tou P.O.V.)

I conceal myself behind the trees and shrubs as I steal glances from Yun Xi, who is practicing martial arts diligently. Wait this is not something I have taught. Is she with someone else? 

If I’m not wrong, she is practicing, ‘Silent Spring’. Did Yao Zhi appoint someone from Emei? Or someone from Emei has disguised herself as maid, after all Emei women are best spies and assassins in Jianghu. 

But how come Yun Xi is okay with her… 

It took every ounce of willpower to prevent myself confronting the woman, whoever she was. 

“Xi Jie, do you really love Crown Prince?” Her question froze me to the spot. Because, I’m eager to know the answer myself. 

Yun Xi chuckled.  “Some marriages are just to play the part you are supposed to play and fulfil the duties.” She sighed. Her grip on the sword loosened as the sword fell jangling to the ground. I tightened my fist in anger and frustration.

Where have I dragged Yun Xi into? Was forsaking my love for her was worth it?

“But are you supposed to be enemies?” The maid’s innocent question made me laugh. “Guniang…” I whispered. 

“You are enjoying the forbidden time.” My subconscious yelled at me. I chuckled. I am turning into a maniac indeed. 

This is not love, son. This is not love. That witch is just driving you insane.” My Clan Mother used to say. 

“Why don’t you take him to Suzhou? Being away from palace life would ease him, and you get to know him better.” The maid suggested. Her idea is not bad.

“Suzhou…” I breathed. A place connected to thousands of memories.

I closed my eyes as I chanted a hidden realm spell. A realm of my memories engulfed me. 

***

Someone tugged my cloth. I looked down to see a very confused younger me tugging my cloth in order to grab my attention. “Jing Mei Jie.” He huffed. He looked scared. “Yes, Bian Ci.” I ruffed his hair to calm him down. He took a step back in amazement. “Ge-Ge, can you find my Jie?” His eyes glittered in hope. 

“Sure.” I grabbed his tiny hand as we entered into the city crowd. Suddenly my palm felt empty, has he vanished into the crowd?

The surrounding has changed.  

“Why are you here?” 

I turned. I am confronted by memory again. But this time, it’s the nightmare.

Suddenly everything turns black.

“Do you think you can change Yun Xi’s fate?” A voice asked. “Yes.” I yelled at the darkness. “You are seriously delusional, Bian Ci. What make you think you can protect Yun Xi, if you can’t even save her daughter.”

Suddenly the chasm broke.

You have to choose wisely this time.”

***

It was evening in mortal realm. I summoned Yu Hai. “Ni hao, Lord Cain Tou.” He bowed. “You don’t need to always address me like that.” 

“Lord did something happen?” Yu Hai asked. “I am thinking of returning.” I sighed as I leaned on the balcony of my quarters. 

“Oh, that’s great.” He felt distant. “Yu Hai.” I turned to face him. “You seem stressed.” I calmly pointed out. 

“Ah, I am experimenting to make new medicines.” He sighed. “How is Fa Jing doing?” I asked.

“Yun… Yun Guniang is doing alright, except she hasn’t opened her eyes yet.”

“Take care of her.”

“Hao.”

Soon he went. Something tells me, he is hiding something from me. But it has never happened, he doesn’t lie to me.

***

I know things would have been different. They surely would have been different, if we weren’t reckless and didn’t thought of combining ‘The Lotus Melancholy’ and ‘Curse of Damned’ sutra together. 

But look at me now, who is drinking away his sorrows at this place. 

I and the Hua siblings were from same village near Suzhou. We all just had one thing common except the fact we share the same native place. We were orphans, some nameless orphans. I had met them on the way to Yifei Mountains. I remember as if it was yesterday, Fa Jiang used to bully me but Jing Mei being the kindest soul always protected me.

One day she tried to protect me again, but the backlash from sutra was too strong. I got myself mortally wounded, however she seemed fine. Unfortunately, when I woke up, she wasn’t fine anymore. 

With time she has forgotten me, but I can’t ever forget my love for her. Her eyes have lost the charm as she matured. Or it was something else. 

Something dawned upon me. 

In frustration I throw away all the wine. I need fresh air to clear my mind. I quietly crept out of my chambers.

What if my assumptions are right, then Jiang Guan is much more insidious than I thought? 

I sit under the plum tree; the flowers are at full bloom. The night is nice, warm and quiet. The moon is at its fullest as the fireflies and fairies give this place more heavenly touch. I can hear a soft hum of Guqin as if a Goddess is playing the instrument at this hour. 

I chuckle as this could only be my mere drunken imagination. 

***

I snuggle more into the blanket but suddenly I hit my head onto something. I can hear chuckles and snickers. I try to open my eyes, but the place is too bright. 

Somebody clears his throat. I turn to face him. Yao Zhi is standing. I try to stand up but stumble due to blanket. 

“I hope you had pretty good sleep in the garden.” He said as he fixated his eyes on the sky. The maids couldn’t hide their smiles and chuckles. 

“Well, yesterday’s weather was indeed nice.” 

“Hao ba, now I hope you can dress up pretty quick.”

“Huh?” I was puzzled. “Well, we are going to Suzhou for Mid-Autumn Festival.” He walked away even before I could register what did he say.