Chapter 3: A Funny Thing Called Destiny

"Guniang, are you Yun Xi?" A man approached as I was Guqin playing in the royal garden. I felt a surge of familiarity even if we have never met.

I nod not knowing how to address this man. It was of course an absurd question, after all I am the young Princess of this palace.

"Princess Hua."

I turn to face Eunuch Yi. "Yes."

"Empress Dowager is calling."

"Hao ba." I got up. As I was walking along Eunuch Yi, the man follows us behind. "Who is he?" I ask Eunuch Yi. "Ah, Princess he is the envoy of Emperor Fang." He whispered.

My eyes widened in horror. I have done nothing but blatantly ignored him. If he tells something to Emperor Fang, we would be in huge trouble.

"Yun Guniang." The man cleared his throat. I paused as I faced him. "You did nothing wrong. We have never met each other after all." He gave a soft smile. I nodded in response.

"Crowned Prince is here too."

Suddenly all blood drains from my face at the mention of his name. Nai-Nai had told me about the war and its outcomes.

As we lost the war, nothing ours was ours anymore. Even my body was owned by someone else. I wasn't a year old when I was betrothed to Fang Yao Zhi.

"What if you were meant to be together?" The Envoy smirked. "What did I do to achieve such..."

"Ah Mister Gu, you already met her?" The Crown Prince said. "She is a pretty decent girl; you both are truly meant to be." He bowed. His word made me want to barf.

"Crown Prince." I gave him the sweetest smile I could give as I bowed. "Yun Xi, I have told you already, you don't need to do that." He lifted my face gently; I could feel something in me tingling.

It felt good and bad at the same time. The Envoy suddenly clears his throat, saving me from discomfort.

The Crown Prince takes a step back. His face is flustered. He looks cute, that it almost made me laugh. But I managed to control myself. Suddenly everything became quiet.

"We should go inside; the sun is in it's high." The Crown Prince said finally.

I could hear Nai-Nai talking with someone, has the Emperor came too?

"Yun Xi, you have grown beautifully." The Emperor rose from his seat. I forced a smile. "Emperor Fang, xie-xie nie."

"As you can see, your Nai-Nai and I have decided the auspicious date for the marriage. It is in a week."

I tried to keep my smile intact. While I could see the poor astrologer squirming uncomfortably.

"Are you okay?" The Emperor asked.

"Huh?" I bat my eyelashes in confusion. "You appear to be lost." His voice was full of concern. "Well, you all came so suddenly that I wasn't dressed properly." I faked my shyness.

He gave a hearty laugh. "Yun Xi, you should not worry about such mundane stuff. And you look beautiful however you dress."

***

It was late evening; I was sitting alone in the pavilion and drinking. "You have smuggled wine again?" Nai-Nai sits across. I scoff. "You know I like drinking, then why prohibit it here?"

"Yu'er, you sound just like your father." She gave a sad smile.

"Debuchi, Nai-Nai." I take a sip of the wine again. "Yu'er, Emperor is not an evil man." I start laughing. "Nai-Nai are you joking?"

"If he was an evil man, we would have been dead or something worse. So, spit your grudge." She reprimanded. "Then tell me why... I have no parents?"

I stood in anger. "Yu'er, your parent's death has nothing to do with Emperor Fang or you." She tried to hold my wrist. Her last words made me froze.

"What did you say?"

"Yu'er, it was their destiny to die together."

"I don't believe you."

"Yu'er." She pulls me into a hug. I cry on her shoulders. "Don't worry they will always watch you, and feel proud about you."

"I hope so too."

***

Sneaking the bottle of poison was difficult. I know I'm letting down my Nai-Nai. But I can't do this marriage.

I sit at the edge of the cliff. The view is so beautiful, but I can't handle this life anymore, I want nothing more than happiness.

I slowly open the bottle, taking a look of what's inside.

"Hua Guniang."

"Envoy Gu?" I became startled. He has a smirk plastered on his face as leaned on a tree.

"Dying is not always the answer." He said as he walked towards me. "Think about your Nai-Nai, she would be devastated. You are the only family she has."

He took a seat beside me. "Why do you care? Did Lord Yao Zhi ask you to..."

"Lord Yao Zhi... umm interesting." He joked. "He did ask me to be your bodyguard. But I want to be your friend."

"If you want something, don't hesitate to ask help from. Even if you want to revenge against the Crown Prince, himself."

I turned to face him. "I do need your help to change something."

"What is it?"

"A funny thing called destiny."

"That's why I'm here, aren't I?"

***

(Extra: Gu Cain Tou)

I was sipping my tea in the pavilion. "Aren't you afraid of Hua Jiang Guan?"

I chuckled at Yu Hai's words. "Even if he is a God, I'm the Lord of Demons."

"Hao." He sighed.

"Lord Gu, but haven't understood one thing."

I poured him some tea. I know what he is going to ask.

"You want to know why she thought she is familiar with me right?"

He nodded.

"Do you think I really erased her memory?"

"Why?"

"Who do you think Yao Zhi is?"

"Fang Jheng Er?" His eyes lit up.

"I know one day or other, Hua Jiang Guan will get the whiff of this smoke, but it will be too late for him."

I patted his shoulder as I got up.

"I might be a Demon Lord but I'm not a cruel person."

"But don't burn your hands while playing with fire."