Chapter Six - The New Generation

The tunnel pressed down around Arya and Fírnen, the darkness complete. It was familiar to Arya, and she accepted it easily. Though he was bonded with her, Fírnen still found the enclosed space difficult to get used to.

It's almost over, the elf queen assured her companion. The dragon let out a heavy breath, and Arya could smell the smoke.

Just as she had said, they turned a bend and saw the pool of light at the end of the tunnel. Arya's pace picked up at the thought of their journey's end. Finally, they were entering the vast underground cavern that was Farthen Dûr.

The past week had been a rush of travel. Arya, Fírnen, and their two traveling companions had flown straight from Ellesméra before the sun had risen, bearing their precious burden of the two dragon eggs Eragon had left behind. From Du Weldenvarden, they had traveled southwest to the foothills at the tail end of the Spine Mountains. There, they had been welcomed into the Urgal city of Hrogulk, the first permanent residence for the Urgals in recorded history. Since the treaty with the other races, they had decided the time had come to establish themselves.

The Herndall of the Urgal tribe that had created Hrogulk had been given the title of Nar Herndall, a new title for the whole of the race, one that was the equivalent of the queen. Nar Herndall Lovahk had greeted Arya, Fírnen, Vanir, and Earalas graciously enough, recognizing Arya as an equal in power and honoring Fírnen as the fiercest of warriors. However, it was obvious that the Urgals were uncomfortable with the elves in their new city, and Arya did not wish to force the situation in any direction. They seemed like a flock of birds, albeit ferocious and deadly birds, who were attempting to settle in one place but were nervous of the world around them. She was wary of scaring them off, proud as she was that they had begun to change their ways of life.

Arya presented the eggs to Nar Herndall Lovahk to be tested by the youth of Hrogulk. There had been a disagreement over the age limit of those tested, as Nar Herndall Lovahk wished all of her rams to have the chance at becoming a Rider. However, Arya feared that the violent nature of the Urgals was far too ingrained in the proven rams, and if they were to become Riders, they would not have the required attributes like patience and communcative skills. She insisted that the unproven cubs be the ones to touch each of the eggs, arguing that the rams had already earned titles and glory enough. In the end, Nar Herndall Lovahk agreed, but she would only bring forward the cubs whose horns were just beginning to show and were to be proven soon.

The eggs did not hatch for any of the cubs, simply remaining as still as stone before the whole of the tribe and signaling an end to the elves' visit in Hrogulk. At first insulted that the cubs of her tribe had not been deemed worthy by the dragons within the eggs, Nar Herndall Lovahk was quickly reassured that it was a natural result in the testing of youth. Arya told her that she had carried Saphira's egg for fifteen years before it hatched for someone she had never even met.

"The dragons choose their Riders, and I have heard no reason why their judgment should ever be doubted," Arya told Nar Herndall Lovahk.

Appeased for time being, the queen of the Urgals offered her city for as long as was needed before the couriers resumed their journey, but Arya ensured that they would only stay the night. She knew the Urgals were anxious around the elves and Fírnen, but more than that, the thought of returning to Tronjheim made her smile.

Wildcat, Fírnen gently pulled Arya from her thoughts to the present, and she placed a loving hand on his side. He hummed with affection as the group came to a halt before the massive double doors that were the end of the tunnel.

The dwarven guard that had escorted them this far passed the trio of elves and the emerald dragon to push open the doors and reveal the spectacle of Farthen Dûr.