03.

xx

"Peter?" Elora watched her uncle, Derek's car leaving the parking lot. "Are you okay?"

Peter unsurely walked back into the main portion of the loft. "I'm fine." He grabbed his blazer, "I, uh, I think I'm just going to go get a coffee or something." He ran a hand along his jaw, heading for the door. "Tell me if there's any progress."

Elora walked around to the table, keeping a careful eye on Peter as he left. "I've never seen him like that before."

"You two don't seem to get along that well," Isaac said, still rubbing his neck.

"We never really have. He doesn't believe I belong in the family," she replied, green eyes almost exactly like Derek's scanning the books on the table.

"Because you're a witch."

"Because the Hale family has always been a strong werewolf line and I'm one of the first with mixed blood." Elora recognized the books, all ones from the Hale vault.

"You don't seem like a witch." Isaac leaned back, angling in his seat to look at her.

"Because I don't have warts or a broom to fly around on in the night?" Elora asked with a smile, "We're better hidden...plus we're not green anymore, so that helps."

Isaac laughed lightly, the girl pulling herself up onto the table to sit.

"Are you still hurting?" she asked, not waiting for a response. "Come here."

Isaac hesitated, getting up from the chair. "It's just kind of stinging."

"I know the feeling." she said, motioning for him to expose his neck. "My mom could tell when I lied as a kid and if I denied it, well, she'd get it out of me. Luckily, she had more practice than Peter."

"So your mom was a wolf?" Still a bit too tall, he bent his knees as Elora's warm hands covered the back of his neck.

"Is a wolf. She still is. She's Talia's sister, but she's in hiding with my dad." She calmly spoke, her fingers barely gracing Isaac's hair as she took the pain from his cuts that were now only internal.

"Then the magic is from your dad? He's the wizard?" Isaac closed his eyes for a moment, relief flooding his body.

"He prefers 'warlock', but yes."

      "What made you a witch and not a werewolf?" He opened his blue eyes, the pain gone completely.

      Elora took her hands away, Isaac turning so he could see her. "It came down to bloodlines, actually. My dad's family runs well beyond the Hale line so it's more dominant."

      "Do you have any wolf traits in you or is it pure magic?"

      "I only got the hearing, plus some reflexes. Otherwise it's just magic." She narrowed her eyes at him, "Why are you so interested?"

      "I just, you're - it's, interesting. I've never met a witch before."

      "I can tell. How about you lay down?" she offered. "You live here, don't you?"

      "Yeah, but the couch is fine." Isaac waited until she got down to actually head towards the blue sofa in the loft. "Derek will probably be back soon anyways."

      Elora sat on the coffee table, folding her legs. "When did you become a werewolf?"

      Isaac laid out on the sofa, his head propped up so he could still talk to her. "Around March, why?"