Chapter Fifty-Six

~Chapter Fifty-Six~

Carter's Point of View

The tension in the room grew ten fold since our conversation ended over an hour ago. I can tell Casey's parents are coming to a conclusion about me, and I don't know if it's a good one.

All the trust they had for me before has clearly gone out the window but I can't go around defending myself after what's happened. They are right for not trusting me because I almost got her killed.

I don't even trust me anymore.

After a long time of uncomfortable silence, a group of nurses came into the room, completing their routine rounds.

They did a few tests to see if she has any feeling in her feet, but they can't be sure until she wakes up.

A phone begins to vibrate, cutting through the silence like a knife. Mrs. Stevenson quickly pulls it out of her purse, checking the caller identification.

Her expression shifts into pure worry as she looks to her husband. "It's Reggie," she announces solemnly, knowing this news will be devastating to him.

This will be the hardest for him, especially seeing his twin sister in such a state.

I feel something inside me sink down into my stomach as she answers the phone.

"Hi sweetie," she says with a smile, trying to sound as though she hasn't been crying all night.

I can't hear what Reggie is saying but based on her response, I assume he's asking where they are.

"We're at the hospital... yes, your father and I are okay... it's Casey, she, um, suffered an injury and needed surgery... yes, you guys can come see her, we will explain what happened when you get here," she glances at me, and I swallow a lump in my throat. "Okay, dad will meet you at the front of the hospital. Drive safe, I love you."

She hangs up the phone and exhales a long breath, placing a hand on Casey's foot.

"Baby girl, your siblings are coming to see you," she whispers, patting her foot gently.

I look to Casey, observing her beautiful, somber face. Still, no reaction.

Mr. Stevenson checks his watch. "We should get something to eat, hon," he says, standing up and patting the pocket where his wallet is.

Mrs. Stevenson sighs. "You're right." She hesitates, though, not sure if she wants to leave Casey.

"I'll watch over her if you guys want to go grab something," I offer, voice grumbly and low.

They look at me, almost as if they had forgotten about me. Their stares have me shrinking in my seat.

"I guess that's fine," Mr. Stevenson says, "Do you want anything?"

I shake my head. "No thank you, sir."

Honestly, I can't even think of eating anything right now. At least not until I know Casey is okay.

Without another word, they leave the room, heading for the hospital cafeteria.

The tension leaves with them, but the silence in the room is thicker than the tension ever was, making me feel compressed and uncomfortable.

I scoot my chair closer to Casey's bed, and finally am able to hold her hand. Carefully, I place her hand in mine, and the coldness of it surprises me. I've never felt her so cold.

My mind fills with so many thoughts and emotions as I watch over her. Her long eyelashes hang over her cheeks, gently brushing over the pale skin. There's a few scrapes and bruises on her arms and hands from being roughly thrown around.