M

Luna stood in front of her class of new blood, waiting for them to speak. She loved watching them squirm.

It was the first day of their weapons training, and she intended to use it well.

The blonde one spoke first, as she thought.

"Why are we just standing here? Why can't we do something already!" He demanded loudly, crossing his arms. He had taken a half step, giving her easy access to his anchor leg.

She moved. Running at him and kicking the back of that knee, causing him to fall over backward. He caught himself on his arms, and she swept those from under him too, resting her sword against his neck.

"You shouldn't give your opponent such easy access to the leg supporting your weight. Or try to catch yourself. Just roll away, and keep some distance between you and your opponent." She said quietly, softly.

"How was I supposed to know you would attack me!" He said, trying to stand.

She kicked his hands from under him again, her sword not wavering. "I saw that you wanted to be a knight. And that you have a very fine old sword. A shame you can't think enough to get out of such an easy situation."

The class watched in stunned silence, waiting for his response. He growled, and smacked the flat of her blade away with the back of his hand, then rolled. She moved to intercept him, and her sword met the sheath of his.

She clicked her tongue, looking down at his feet. "Keep yourself anchored, but in a way that you can still move. What can you do from this position?" She asked him, patiently.

He examined their stances, seeing he had trapped himself. He was leaning heavily on both legs to keep himself upright against her body weight. If he took a step left, he would lose balance and fall. The same if he moved to the right. If he ducked, her blade would come down on his head. If he tried to back away, she would still manage to slice him.

He looked at her with confusion splayed across his features. "I don't think I can go anywhere." He said, sounding defeated.

She nodded, pulling away. "Yes." She showed him a better stance. "Like this."

He mimicked her, and she jumped at him again, putting them in the same lock as before. This time, he examined their position and rolled left, making her fall forward just enough to be unbalanced.

He kicked her feet from under her, making her land on her face, but before he could pin her she rolled away. At the last second she jumped to her feet and punched him in the gut. He fell again, holding himself and wheezing.

"Don't leave yourself open. Shield your vulnerable areas at all times." She walked away. "Now go back to the line, and remain silent." She said over her shoulder, walking to the front again.

"What.. The hell.." He wheezed.

He stood shakily and limped into his place, still hunched over.

She started teaching her class like nothing had happened. Showing them basic forms, drills, rules, as much as she could cram into their brains. They were all sweating and panting by the end of it, many barely able to hold their heads up.

Shura walked out to meet the impatient blonde, ruffling his hair and teasing him about something. He didn't have the energy to fight back. He just continued on his way, head hanging.

Shura walked to Luna, as half naked as ever. "You breaking their spirits as usual? Good job." The woman said, slapping Luna on the back.

Luna sighed, not responding. She didn't particularly like Shura, but she wouldn't leave. So she did her best to ignore her. "I find it works best." She said quietly, holding the front of her hood to keep Shura from pulling it down.