H

Amaimon went to his brother's office, popping in outside the window to make sure no one was there. When he saw it was safe to come in, he knocked.

Mephisto opened it with a grand gesture, smiling. "Welcome brother! Did you have fun playing with your half-human?" Mephisto asked, sitting in his chair.

Amaimon stood unnaturally still in the middle of the office, looking lost in thought.

"She hides from herself and the world, yet not from me. Why?" Amaimon asked, ignoring Mephisto's question. He was still staring into the distance.

"It is possible she likes you, Amaimon. Her demon side is most likely called to you as well. She is half demon." Mephisto answered.

"It feels... Good. Trust. Such a strange thing." Amaimon said. He looked to Mephisto. "Do you trust me, brother?" He asked, unwrapping a lolly and placing it on his tongue.

Mephisto was astonished. The human had changed his little brother this much in just one day. How much could she accomplish in a week? A month? A year? This had the potential to be amazing or an epic failure, but Mephisto found he was okay with taking this risk. He would make a wager with himself this time.

"Yes, I trust you." Mephisto finally replied.

"Do you think she trusts me?" Amaimon said, a hint of desperation in his voice.

Oh no. He'd already grown attached. This needed to end quickly, before the human died or gets injured and Amaimon loses it because he couldn't protect her. But what if that never happened? What if she did something good for him, let him in. Showed him how to feel.

Mephisto just blurted the first thing that came to mind. "She most likely doesn't trust you completely now, but given time she can. Trust is something that must be earned."

Amaimon considered this in silence. "I think I want that." He finally said.

Mephisto didn't know how to respond to that. He just let his brother think. This was his time to grow, and hopefully learn more about the human world.

"Yes, I want that. I want her to trust me. Knowing she likes me makes me happy. I think trust would feel even better." Amaimon continued, like he was thinking out loud.

Mephisto had known for a long time that Amaimon only acted on his own desires. But he now wanted to make a human happy to make himself happy and didn't even know it. This was a new development.

Amaimon still hadn't changed his position.

Mephisto was a little worried, but he'd already made his wager. Now it was time to see it through.

________

Luna didn't see Amaimon for three days after that, which was both concerning and gratifying. She didn't have to be on constant look out for a demon king, but she did have to wonder why she missed him so much. He was annoying, selfish, and rude, with no sense of personal space. But there was something endearing about his simplicity.

Something about the easy way he acted toward her made her want to spend time with him. She liked knowing how someone worked for a change, instead of being so unsure of what she needed to do. Though he could be a right pain, Amaimon was at least reliable to act in his own interests.

She shook her head, bringing herself back to reality. She looked around the coffee shop, seeing the people here for the free Wi-Fi clicking away at their keyboards.

Luna wished she could do something so simple. Instead, she was a head board member of a school for people who could see demons that rivaled True Cross. Which meant absolute fuck-tons of dramatic letters threatening her organization if she didn't follow True Cross.