Stefan

Stefan:

"Emmy," I said, looking into her emerald eyes. "That just described you." Emmy blushed furiously and bit her lip, a nervous habit of hers I suppose. Then I got to thinking. Emmy did make me laugh, I could be myself around her and she was an over all fun person to be around. But did I really think of her as more than a friend? Surely not! We've been friends forever but that would just make things weird and complicated. Sure, she knew me better than anyone else as I did her, but that didn't mean anything... Did it?

I quickly shook the crazy thought from my mind and turned back to Emmy.

 "Thanks, I needed some advice." I said. The last thing I wanted was to make her feel bad when she was going through so much already.

"You're welcome, it's just that, when you marry someone, Stefan, its forever," She stood up. "So you should choose someone you can see yourself being with for the rest of your life." She gave me a weak smile before leaving me there, with my thoughts to figure out what she meant. Well I knew what she meant, but I can't see myself with any girl right now. I've never really had any girlfriends. All the girls that come to my parties are royal pains. Complimenting me on my 'Beautiful dark hair,' 'My handsome outfit,' 'And rock solid muscles.' They make me sick.

I got up and walked to the den room. Alina was usually there reading at this time. Sure enough she was. She broke her gaze from her book when I entered and quickly set it aside. She gave me a warm smile.

"Hello, Stefan. I suspect you've spoke with father by the look on your face." I sat down in a chair next to her. The fire embers crackled and spit, making our shadows dance on the stone wall behind us.

"Did everyone but me know about this?"

"No, but father asked where you were. Said he wanted to talk to you so I asked why. I'm sorry." She put a warm hand on my shoulder.

"Well I was wondering if you could do me a favor." She cocked her head.

"Sure,"

          "Can you invite some of your friends to come to the palace this weekend? I need to get started as soon as possible." She sat and processed this information before knitting her eyebrows together and turning to me.

"Started on what?"

"Finding a bride," I said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Well sorry if I was mistaken but I assumed you would choose Emmy..." My eyes widened in shock.

"No," I said a little too quickly. "We're just friends, nothing more."

"Stefan don't sit there and try to tell me you don't love her. You two spend every free minute you have together. I can see it in the way you two act around each other. You two know each other better than anyone else. Better than me. So please, Stefan. Don't throw away your chance with her, I can tell you guys are in love." I stood up.

"We are not in love, Alina! Just do as I ask, alright?" I stormed out of there and stopped in the hallway. Could the things Alina said be true? Did I really act all that different around Emmy? I had a lot to think about. I walked down the hallway, the eerie silence settling like a thick fog.

Frightening questions popped into my head. What if Emmy didn't love me back? What if she refused to marry me? Did I really love her, or do I just think I do because everyone is telling me I do? I flung open the door to my bed chamber and flopped onto my bed. I shut my eyes and fell into a restless sleep, hoping and praying that in the morning I would have all the answers.