Stefan...

Stefan:

I said goodnight to Emmy and walked back to my room. She was in a really good mood after getting to see her father. She even seemed like her old self. I had agreed to take her to where they were keeping the knife tomorrow, even though I would probably never hear the end of it. As long as it would help Emmy's father get out of prison so things between us could go back to normal then I didn't really care at the moment.

I hopped into bed and fell into a deep sleep.

I woke up to my usual wake up call from a servant. I got up and dressed, heading to Alina's room. Emmy was ready, bouncing with happiness. It was great to see her like this, not worried and stressed.

"Thank you again," She stared up at me with her innocent green eyes. Today her long dark hair was left to fall carelessly around her shoulders, and she wore simple attire. If there was one thing Emmy was not it was a priss, I don't think I've ever seen her stress about an outfit.

"No problem," I said, smiling. We walked farther down the hall, an awkward silence between us.

"So I talked to Sperling yesterday," Emmy said, trying to start a conversation. My ears perked up. The jerk, I've never liked him but after he hurt Emmy I can barely stand to be within five feet of him.

"Oh, really?" I looked conspicuously at her. She avoided my gaze. 

"Yeah, he apologized for what he said to me a few days ago." I cocked an eyebrow.

"So I guess you guys are good now?" I anticipated the answer. I didn't want Emmy hanging around with him. If that happened then she'd probably go back to him and she could do so much better than that.

She let out a laugh.

"Not hardly, I still can't stand the old fish-bag." I smiled, oddly pleased with her response. We continued down the hall, past the guest rooms. I think Alina had said something about Anabel staying for the week...

"Stefan!" Speak of the devil. I spun around to see none other than Anabel running towards me. I pleaded for her to stop, not here, not now, not with Emmy standing right there. Anabel threw herself at me and planted a kiss right on my mouth. It felt the same as last night and I quickly pulled away when Emmy cleared her throat, a smirk on her face.

"Who's this?" Anabel puckered her lips.

"This is my best friend, Emmy." I gestured towards her. Emmy smiled politely and gave a weak wave.

"Well at least I don't have anything to worry about," Anabel smiled turning back to me.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Emmy snapped. I got the feeling she didn't like Anabel that much.

Anabel turned back towards her and rolled her eyes.

"It means I don't have to worry about Stefan ever dumping me for you. I mean, look at you, your just a plain peasant girl. I'm a high-standing woman from a fine family." Anabel smirked. I froze. How could Anabel say that to her? How could she be so rude? I thought she was a decent person. Even if she thought those things why on earth would she say it right to Emmy's face? This infuriated me.

"Like your money makes you any less of a bitch, you filthy gold digger!" Emmy said, walking closer to Anabel. I could tell she was trying to control her rage. Anabel's face contorted in anger. I wondered if I should intervene. Yeah probably, this was going to get out of hand.

"Girls," They completely ignored me.

"Oh shut up already," Anabel spat. "Quit pretending that you belong in the palace, you of all people should be kept as far away from here as possible." Emmy's face twisted up in a confused expression. I didn't like where this was going.

"Why do you think that?" Emmy spit at her, venom in her words. I tried to put a word in but it was no use. 

"Well first of all your father is a murderer. Secondly-" Before Anabel could get another word out Emmy was on top of her, slapping her and pulling her hair.

"You don't know my father! He's a nicer person than you could ever to dream of being, you nasty hag!" I pulled on Emmy's arms trying to get her off of the stunned Anabel. Anabel had crossed the line, she got what she deserved. I actually thought about letting Emmy kick the crap out of her.

"Let go of me!" Emmy struggled at my grasp. Anabel slowly stood up, a bruise starting to form under her left eye and a chunk of hair missing.

"Stefan, did you see that?" She acted like it was all Emmy's fault. I dragged the struggling Emmy towards the evidence archives.

"Stefan! Stefan, get back here this instant!" Anabel screeched behind me. I rolled my eyes. How could I have been so stupid?

"Go to hell," I shouted over my shoulder. I heard her let out a dramatic huff before rushing off. Emmy stopped moving and I looked down at her, shock plastered all over her face.

"I-I'm sorry I ruined your relationship." She looked down and bit her lip. I grabbed her face in my hands and made her look me in the eyes. She blushed; gosh she was cute when she did that. I don't know why I couldn't have seen it before. Have I really been that blind? Emmy was so beautiful.

"It's hard to ruin something that was never there," I stated as she blushed a darker shade of red. "And just ignore the things she said to you, none of it was true." I dropped my hands as she looked away.

"Well I am a plain peasant." I could tell she was trying to hide the shame in her voice.

"Money doesn't matter, Emmy. You're the most beautiful and outgoing person I know. You don't care what other people think; you play by your own rules. Everyday I learn something new about you. So just ignore those jealous creeps like Anabel, okay?" Her face glowed as she nodded. I smiled. Why hadn't I figured it out before? Just from hearing my own words I realized something I thought could never happen.

I'm in love with Emmy.