Chapter 1

"I barely knew this place existed and suddenly it's the busiest room in this place" Adam's voice sweetly called from behind me, as he approached slowly. I turned around to face him hiding my mother's book behind my back, he mustn't see. "What are you doing?" He was only a few steps away, but I knew he was concerned. He was always concerned about me.

"Nothing." I said, trying to sound convincing. Adam looked at me and bent his head, he knew I was lying. I let out a deep sigh as showed Adam the book I was hiding behind my back. "You said this symbol is used to channel dark magic." I looked up at the symbol carved into the ceiling of basement as I spoke. "It's part of the spell that Fay used to try and take away mine. What if my dad was trying to take away his own dark magic?" I said with hope.

"You are not him." Adam took two steps towards me "You don't need to do this." He said shaking his head slightly.

"I burnt Diana's dress this morning; I almost killed you last week." Adam sighed "Whatever this is, I don't want it inside me."

"It's too dangerous, and we learned that lesson from Fay's mind blogging stupid behavior tonight" he was moving towards me again, now only standing a few inches apart.

"Maybe she didn't do it right." I said, trying to reassure myself that that could be the reason behind this evenings events. I clasped my mom's book in my hands, looking down.

"It's not worth the risk, there has to be another way. Go on give me the spell" Adam reached his hand out for the book, but I pulled it away. "I mean it." He tried again, this time stepping closer. "Give me the spell." I shook my head, as I held the book over my head. In one quick motion Adam grabbed the book, but I held onto it as well. A laugh escaped my lips, as Adam's turned into a smile. "Your destiny is important to me" he was so close now; I could feel the heat radiating off of his skin. I would do anything just to touch him, kiss him. I was searching his eyes; I know he wanted it too. Adam leant his head down, his lips softly brushing mine. The kiss started off sweet, but as though a firecracker had gone off between us it soon turned urgent. Adam pulled away at the sound of footsteps. It was Jake.

Two Weeks Later

Jake was back, and I almost lost him. I was stupid, but I needed to find out about my father.

"He escaped." The circle was staring at me now, Adam more intently and Jake was pacing the room.

"You're sure of this?" Diana asked, moving to sit next to me on the ground. I nodded.

"Then where is he now?" Fay asked, looking uninterested.

"I don't know, but I think he is in Chance Harbor. Or near at least, he wouldn't be too far away from here. There is too much history." Adam nodded, he knew I was right. Diana took my hand squeezing it tightly. She was trying to reassure me that everything was okay.

"Did you see anything else while you were in Jake's memory?" I shook my head, not ready to tell him the woman who saw me.

"You're dad was there though Adam."

"That can't be possible."

"He was, I saw him. And a man acknowledged his presence." Adam ran a hand through his hair, in disbelief. But I was sure he knew I wasn't lying.

"I'm so sorry Cassie, I shouldn't have left you." Jake said as he crouched down in front of me. I shook my head.

"It's not your fault Jake, I was the one who pushed on. I was stubborn, it is you who needs to forgive me."

"No forgiveness needed." Jake said as he brushed a piece of hair behind his ear.

"Well, if we are all over with the near deaths today i would really like to get home." Fay said as she walked toward the stairs.

"Yes. I think we should all get some rest." Diana said as she stood up. Jake extended a hand to help me up off the ground. I took it with a smile.

"Cassie, I'll drive you home." I nodded at Adam, thanking him for his kindness.

"I'll see you tomorrow then?" Jake asked rather hopefully.

"Yes" I paused. "At school?" Jake nodded. He was staying for a while.

...

Adam and I drove in silence. There was no sounds but soft music coming from the radio in the car. Without warning Adam took a hold of my hand, lacing his finger through mine. We hadn't really spoke since our lip locking a few weeks ago, but as our skin connected it could have only been yesterday that his lips were on mine. I squeezed his hand tightly.

"What are you doing on Saturday?" He asked as he walked me to my front door.

"Are you asking me out?" I said, looking at our still entwined hands.

"Is that a problem?" I wanted to say no, but then there was Diana.

"I'm not sure if it is such a good idea." I let go of his hand.

"Because of Diana?"

I nodded.

"Diana wants me to be happy, and you make me happy." He smiled, one of his crooked smiles which my heart stop for a few seconds. Adam ran his hand down my arm, before taking my hand in his again. "You like me."

"I never said that."

"I can see it, when I'm near you. It's like my body is drawn to you, when we touch. Even if it is only as simple as your arm brushing against mine, or your hand" He looked down at our hands "holding mine. I know this is right, almost meant to be. Like we were made for each other."

"Adam." I said slowly, trying to avoid his gaze. With his other hand he lifted my chin to stare into his eyes. His lips brushed against my cheek, as he kissed me. As if my body was full of ecstasy it surged at his touch.

"I'll pick you up for school tomorrow." He said as he pulled away and began to walk back towards his car "we can discuss Saturday." Adam was grinning widely.

"I never said yes!" I shouted after him.

"You didn't but your body did."