𝟏𝟕 | 𝐟𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐲 𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐭.

it was thursday night, ricky and nini were packing up the final boxes that contained connor and isabella's things so it could be brought to their families. they stumbled upon a photo. it was connor and isabella's last photo with gracie that was taken during her first birthday. nini couldn't help but tear up. she missed her best friend so much.

ricky noticed and walked up to her. he gave her a hug and a quick kiss on the forehead. "hey it's ok. i'm right here. stop crying."

nini started wiping her tears, "i just wonder if we are good enough for gracie. if we're the perfect guardians for her. even if we've been taking care of her for 5 months now, i always ask myself if i'm a good parent to her."

"nins, let me tell you this." ricky starts. "we're not perfect, no one is. but you and i love gracie very much. we love her as our own. we take good care of her and raise her the way connor and isabella want her to be raised. that is what's important. so please don't cry." ricky continues, wiping her tears away and giving her a hug.

"come on, i know what will make you feel better." ricky added, grabbing her hand. he takes out his phone and plays "merry go 'round" by kacey musgraves which was one of nini's favorite songs. they started dancing and twirling around, ricky spinning her around while nini giggles. he finally puts her down and nini cups his cheek and kisses him quickly. "thank you for always making me feel better."

they kissed for a while until ricky pulled away first, making nini whine. ricky starts chuckling, "sorry, i just had the craziest idea."

"your idea better be good." nini pouts.

"what if the three of us take a family portrait? what do you say? we're kinda like family anyway." ricky said and nini's face brightens. "ooh i like that. when should we do it?"

"how about tomorrow afternoon? i can set an appointment for us."

nini nods. "yeah. that's great. i'm actually planning to take gracie to work tomorrow. i guess you can pick us up?"

"ok great. then it's set."

the next day, ricky and nini were beyond ecstatic for their shoot. nini got a text from ricky saying he was outside of her clinic. she packed her stuff, carried gracie and said her goodbyes. she walked towards the exit and saw ricky wave at her. she smiled as she continued to walk towards him. ricky gave gracie a quick kiss on her hair while he gave nini a quick kiss on the lips. "hi. ready to go?"

"yup. i'm so excited."

the ride wasn't so bad. the couple had been jamming out to taylor swift and harry styles songs while gracie was in the back giggling and clapping. they finally arrived at the photo studio, excited to finally take their first family portrait.

it was nice. the photographer directing them some poses. after, he showed the photos to them, nini was starting to tear up especially when she looked at the candid shots.

they both jumped of excitement when they got their photos. nini started getting even more emotional, "ricky. it's beautiful. i'm glad we did this."

"me too." ricky chuckles as she gives her a quick kiss on the forehead. "you wanna go grab some dinner?"

"yes please!" nini exclaimed. "i'm starving."

ricky nods as they make their way to the car. suddenly, ricky receives a phone call from the record label he was working at. "hey babe, i'll be right back. just have to take this call. it's from my label so it's important."

"oh ok. me and gracie will be in the car." nini says as ricky walks away.

phone call
jimmy [owner of the label]: good evening richard. sorry to bother you on a friday night. i know that you and your girlfriend probably have plans.
ricky: ah no problem. it's alright. is something wrong?
jimmy: oh no, nothings wrong. i actually have good news for you that i couldn't wait to tell you.
ricky: really?! what is it?
jimmy: i've decided to give you a promotion. you are one of the best producers out there richard and you deserve it.
ricky: oh my god! that's amazing! thank you so much!
jimmy: yeah, i figured you'll love the news. anyways, when you come back to work on monday, we'll talk about your transfer-
ricky: transfer?! what do you mean?!
jimmy: i'm promoting you to head producer in our los angeles office.
ricky: oh woah ok i didn't expect that, but sorry jimmy, i have to think about that. my girlfriend and our godchild are both here.
jimmy: oh alright. i'll give you some time to think about this. but i highly recommend you take this promotion. it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and i know that you've been wanting this job. i'll give you a week.

ricky puts down the phone and sighs. he didn't know what to do. he brushed off the curls that were falling down his head, out of frustration and stress. he takes a look at nini and gracie giggling in the car and starts tearing up. ricky proceeds to the car and nini notices his stress. "hey is everything alright? what was the phone call about?"

"yeah yeah don't worry about it. it was just work stuff."