The Lost Tribe

Chapter 8

Far in the forest of Ahilangaka, a man was dragging his body on one leg and was trying to hide deep inside the forest. He was panting heavily and was letting out a painful cry as his body was forcing him to stop but with all his strength he kept on moving. His body was badly bruised and his appearance showed that he has been captivated and tortured brutally for many days. As he progressed in the forest, he was hit by a wooden plank and he fell on the ground. Before he could left his consciousness he saw a shadow that stood in front of him and finally he closed his eyes considering this to be the end of his life.

                                             **********

Far in the North- East region near Mandakini river lied Chitrakoot forest. Pulatsya was residing in this forest from many years and was devoting all his time in compiling his Vishnu Purana that was bestowed upon him by Brahma. He was a great sage who has worked all his life developing Ayurveda medicines and ways to cure variety of diseases. After so many years of practice and study now it was time for him to impart his knowledge to his grandson whom he awaited with full curiosity. He knew that no one would be able to carry his legacy forward as Ravula.
Pulatsya thought,’ transfer of ‘gyana' is as important as consumption of food, air and water. Ravula has prepared himself all these years and has attained a state of self consciousness. He deserves to know the true meaning of existence. The connection of every thought that passes through a series of stages and how it manifests into a creative force that is concrete and can be felt. The various levels of consciousness and the way in which they correspond to our state of existence. All this knowledge is important if he has to become one with the supreme being, if he has to attain moksha and to become one with his creator.’ A man without knowledge of self consciousness is a man floating in a vast ocean without any shore.’
Pulatsya knowledge has reached its pinnacle not only because he was the mind born son of Brahma, the Prajapita but he has devoted his self consciousness for the realisation of the supreme being and has overpowered the various stages of a man's manifestation by overpowering his various ‘awasthas’ i.e sthula- the jagrut awastha(the physical state), suksham- the swapna awastha(the subtle state), karan-  the sushupati awastha( the casual state) and para- the turiya awastha( the transcendental state).

                             **********
Ravula and Vaisharva were walking from many days now and they were on the verge of reaching Chitrakoot when Ravula said,' All these years I have devoted my self to lord Shiva and has worked out everything that could be useful for human and his existence in the coming future, what if I don’t live up to my grandfather's expectations.’
Vaiaharva explained,' You have been a great son and a great brother, you have devoted your self to the sole purpose of acquiring knowledge and this is what he will be proud of. We all have this feeling when it’s time to progress further in life. I have done everything to equip you with all the knowledge I had but what you will learn now, will open your inner eyes. Even, I was directed on the same path by my father and I am proud that you will too learn the reason behind our sole existence.’
Ravula was so proud to be a part of this journey and soon they progressed further in the forest and reached the ashram of Rishi Pulatsya. Ravula touched his grandfather's feet and took his blessings. Vaiaharva bowed in front of his father and guru and hugged him as it has been too long since they met each other.
‘Life is a long journey and it is in the hands of our creator, we can neither escape it nor we can take shortcuts, each and every part of this life is pre designed and we are just following it’s course,'pulatsya words were full of life as he held Ravula’s hand and took him inside the ashram.

                         *************

Deep inside the forest, somewhere in Ahilangaka, the wounded man was now reviving from his unconscious state. Slowly as he came to his senses he heard some footsteps and a voice that appeared more of a hisssss sound and due to this strange voice he opened his eyes slowly and found a snake hissing out and speaking in a stange language that was not understood by him. As he realised that the snake was returning he closed his eyes again but now a man spoke,' who has sent you to our abode'.
The man opened his eyes in shock and spoke in terror, ‘where is that snake? I saw that snake it was right in front of me.’

‘Answer my questions before I feed you to that snake,' shouted the man.
I am Marut, a naga from Lanka. My brother was killed by kuber's soldiers and they even wanted to kill me but I escaped and I knew that there is no  place where he cannot search me apart from this, so I swam all the way from Lanka to this island.’

‘Why your brother was killed ?’ asked the man looking serious.
‘We are worshippers of Nagas and have been blessed with the ability to swin in deep waters. We are skilled hunters and can hunt almost anything at the time of danger. That is why we have been sent to this island twice to seek a fawn that can transform itself to something, kubera said but we didn’t understand and when we returned without answers he simply killed my brother before we could have been presented in front of the queen,' Marut's voice was shaking with fear.

‘Where I am? Who are you?’ as Marut was speaking the man left the place and went inside the forest leaving him alone in the bushes. Dusk crept up the bushes and  Marut who was still struggling with pain slept where he was left.

As the sun rose high in the sky and lightened up the whole forest Marut found himself on a small bed made up of dried grass. As he woke, a man offered him water and brought him some wild  fruits. Once Marut regained his strength he realised that his broken leg was healed and it was as strong as before. He turned it on all the sides and stood up and found that his leg was back to normal. He even learned that the wounds on his back and stomach have been healed. He was overjoyed and he bowed in front of the man and thanked him for this miracle.
The man said,' I am Mareech, Prince of this forest, son of sunda and taraka and brother of Subahu and I belong to Yakshas and Rakshasa tribe. I bore the quality of both.

‘Yakshas and Rakshasa, who were considered to be disappeared and vanished years ago, it can’t be true. I have heard from my mother that they were miraculous people with various powers and used to worship nature. No one has seen them in past many decades. How it is even possible?’

‘We left when Lanka was taken from our king Mali, Sumali and Malyavan. King Mali and most of our clan was slayed by Lord Vishnu and rest of them were forced to go to patal lok and Lanka was gifted to Pulatsya. Our tribes, Rakshasa and Yakshas including devas and Nagas fell apart. Many of us were unable to stay with our real identities. Some of them left with the king to the Patal Lok where rest of us came to this abode in hope of regaining our kingdom once again. Still our many brothers and sisters reside in Lanka, mostly devas and few Nagas. They have forgotten their roots and their origin. You remain the last few of those Nagas who had the ability to swim. By the time your next generation will arrive they would completely forget their skills which will transcend to their sub consciousness leaving them not more than a mere follower' explained Mareech

Marut was listening to Mareech as if he was his true brother whom he had met after a long period of separation. His eyes were overflowing with emotions and soon he bowed in front of him and finally said,'

‘People of our tribe have been suffering since past few decades. Many have vanished, others have been murdered because they have failed in their quest of finding the one, Kuber seek. Very few of us are left in the kingdom out of which I have survived because of you and hence I offer my services to you. I  pledge before you to die for the service of our brothers and to save all those who are still in that kingdom bearing the pain at Kuber’s behest. Marut was full of anger and pain as he lost his brother and wanted revenge and now he had a strong company of his lost clan.