Chapter 4, Uninvited guests

I walked into the house to see a note from my mother saying she went out. She probably went out with Carissa. I was happy that my mom decided to reconnect because I remeber how sad she became when the holidays came around. My dad had whisked her away from her family and they never contacted her. Once my dad left us she finally decided to reach out. I just wish that my mom had given me some kind of warning. I walked into my room and saw my bags unpacked I smiled, I also saw Max. "MAX!" I yelped. "What are you doing here?" "I wanted to talk." "About?" "Liz, you can't keep asking questions about Andi." "What does it matter to you? I just want to know what happened to my cousin." "Because there are some people that don't want you asking questions." "Like?" "It doesn't matter!" "Then why did you bring it up?" "Liz you are so stubborn!" He sighed running his fingers through his curly brown hair. I smiled at the sound of Liz. "Because I don't want you to get hurt. What if Andi's death was a murder. Don't you think that they wouldn't want people asking questions? What if they are willing to kill again?" We were interrupted, "Lizzy I'm back how was- Oh hi there. I'm Lizzy's mother, Alouette Johnson. You are?" My mother eyed me suspiciously. "Mrs. Johnson, I'm Max, Maximillian Lawerence." My mother's face tensed up at the sound of his last name. "Oh please call me Alouette. And if you must its ms." His face darkened. "I was just heading out." "Lizzy see him to the door?" My mother dashed up the stairs as soon as the sentence left her mouth. "I'm sorry about my mother-" "DON'T" "Do you have something against my mother?" "Not my story to tell." "Oh c'mon Max really she is my mom-" "I don't care, ask her." "Max?"  A burly man said peaking through the door. Great now everyone was coming in."I'm coming, dad." "Who is this girl that you had to see tonight?" "Lizzy." "No surname?" "That'll do for now," I said. Max's face flooded with relief. I was happy it was dark out and He couldn't see my face. "Go on to the car. I need a word with Lizzy." Max was hesitant. "But-" "Maximillian for once do what your told boy." he left and headed to the car. "Lizzy Stop digging around for answers to Andi's death. I investigated it. case closed." "Are you sure it's case closed because I'm sure I know more than you and I've only been here 1 day." "I highly doubt that little girl." "I'm not little, I'm 17." It's all the same, Now stop poking around.""But there's so much more to the case." I said madly. "Did you go to law enforcement school? No? Then leave the case to me."He promptly walked down the driveway and got into his car, I huffed and sat on the porch. I pondered what Max had told me. What was going on? if it was a murder would they really kill again?  I sat there for a while and finally went inside. My mom's light was off so I assumed she asleep. The next morning I heard a knock on my door, I answered it and was greeted with the sight of Wilson. "Hey, Eliza!" I groaned I was hoping Wilson would forget. "Hi!" I said plastering a smile on my face. "Do you want to see the skate shop?" Of course, the one thing I picked to tease Kalie with was true. "Sure!" "Gosh, you look just like her." "Andi?" "Yeah, she was very pretty and so are you." I blushed. We made small talk on our way there. "So this is where I spend most of my free time." It was low key  disturbing Graffiti all over and guys with colored hair moving around the shop but also kinda cool. "It's cool but it's not normally where you'd find me." I hoped he would get the hint. "Let's sit down and talk." NOPE, HE DID NOT. "You didn't seem to like when I mentioned Max. Why's that?" "He's a snitch." "Details please?" "I had been playing basketball for years and years. We were 11 when I messed with some older guys. Andrew the head of the gang said he would break my collarbone in a fight that would take place at 3 the next day. Max's dad is the head of the police and he told his father. Andrew got sent to boarding school. His friends found me the next day and still broke my collarbone." That's awful." "I should be thankful because I secretly hated basketball. I only played it because my father made me. But I took the broken collar bone like a champ. But Max got the reputation of not being able to be trusted." I nodded and we sat there in silence. I saw Kalie and groaned. She pierced my skin with laser eyes. She stalked home. We watched the skaters for a while and Wilson walked me home.