Mixed Emotions

~TROYE'S POV~

I didn't know what I was doing, I think my real feelings were getting in the way of how Troye should be acting. He was supposed to be an antisocial, not very likable guy, that way I didn't have to carry on any relationships when I switched identities. If no one wanted to hang out with me, I didn't have to juggle all the identities around, keeping in touch with them. But tyler was so sweet and helpless. He was like a little lost puppy, and he never would have put his bed sheet on right, it was inside out. After fixing it I just wanted to get to know him a little better, but somehow he drew real emotions out of me. After I had realized how soft I was being I tried to change back to acting like Troye. I went back to my laptop and pretended to be busy, but I could see Tyler looking at me, and he looked confused, and hurt. I didn't know what to do, so I continued to scroll through tumblr, keeping my eye on him.

I didn't want him to hate me the first day I met him, it had to be a gradual thing. Someone once told me that you should always be nice to someone first, because you can always be mean after, but if you start off mean, they'll never believe that you're nice. I took off my headphones.

"Ty?" I tested out the nickname. He turned around and looked at me, then smirked at the hesitant look on my face.
"I still think Tilly is cute." He told me.

I didn't want him to get the best of me so I played along. "Fine. Tilly, I'm hungry, and I could hear your stomach growling through my headphones, come get some dinner with me."
He grinned.
~

Tyler and I walked around campus for a while, just chatting about life and classes and things. We realized, since neither one of us had processed it or after meeting on the plane, that we both were from Nebraska. I told him about where I lived and he told me what high school he went to. I had been planning on using that as the high school I had been to, knowing it would come up with my roommate, but I couldn't say that or he would ask me why he had never seen me before, so I fell back on my Plan B.
"I was homeschooled." I lied to him so he wouldn't be able to question anyone. I was glad he didn't ask about my social life. I didn't want to spin myself into a web of lies I could never get out of.

There had always been rumors about my house. That it was old and abandoned, that my original identity, haunted it, that an ancient, lonely, crotchety old man lived there. All of the rumors were far from the truth. Kids used to come into my house and play, who can spend the night in the old haunted house, but I got rid of them quickly. I played a very good ghost, one of my best roles. The kids left me alone after that.
~
I was born Elias Aldrige, June 6th, 1703. My parents had been a part of the Virginia Colony, but had been banished for misbehaving. I don't know, or remember how, seeing as I was just a newborn baby, they somehow traveled all the way to Nebraska with my older sister and I.

It took them a year and a half to reach it, but they finally stopped, lost and in the middle of nowhere. The only reason they stopped at all was because my mother was in labor. My father and sister built a small house as my mother nursed the baby and I. Apparently we were struggling to live for a while. The irony. By the time I was nineteen, we were back on our feet. The best part about living in a secluded area where no one will discover you for another hundred years, was we had all the resources we needed to ourselves, and we didn't need any money. However we had to learn how to make our own furniture ect. And we were very lonely.

The April before I would turn 20, there was a fire. I was the only one in my family who survived. I was engulfed in flames, everything was covered in a white light. I thought I was dead. I felt myself being lifted into the air, higher and higher. But the white light still surrounded everything. The everything was cool.

A breeze blew across my face. I opened my eyes and there were people standing above me. I was in the same place, but I found out it was 1835. Over 100 years since my house had burned down with my family inside, but the memory was fresh in my mind. It took me many years to figure out that I hadn't aged at all. And even longer to get my life on track. But I had it figured out, or so I thought.
~
Tyler asked me if I had heard the rumors about the Aldrige house. It had been rebuilt since the fire in the 1700s, to honor the first white people to travel there. I told him I had, and then told him my favorite rumor about it.

"I that once, in 1954, Tommy Hill, an ancestor of Kaplan Hill, you know, the guy who controls the whole city basically? Well I heard that when Tommy was just 14, he tried to stay overnight at the Aldrige house, but he or scared and ran off. They say the chandelier was shaking and the eyes in all the paintings were spinning like crazy," I made my voice get gradually quicker and more intense. I knew Tyler hadn't heard this story before, "He heard a deafening WHOOSH sound all around him. Then everything got quiet. After a few minutes of silence, poor Tommy was scared out of his mind. Then he heard a little girl's voice singing. And Tommy raced out of the house screaming and never looked back." I finished the story a little bit to proudly, a smug grin on my face.

Tyler was squeezing my arm timidly. When he realized I was done he looked up at me.
"No way, you made that up." He said, trying to wipe the scared expression off his face.

"I didn't. That story is so true." I told him in response.
"Whatever, what should we eat?" He asked seriously.

We stopped at a little pizza restaurant and split a pizza, but something kept nagging at the back of my mind from earlier today. If my real personality had never really come out for anyone else, why was it showing through for Tyler on our first day of meeting? I had always been able to control my sweet, caring side of my personality, but suddenly, I couldn't do it as easily.

A/N

This was a kinda long chapter woop woop. It didn't really make any sense, but it was much needed backstory.

Thanks to all my friends who started reading this, Lizzie, Zoey, Brita, Morgan, y'all are my main hoes so thanks.

This actually shot up in reads. On the first day it reached over 100 reads and idk what to say, besides thanks.

Anyway, comment and vote, but especially comment because I wanna hear from you.

Xoxo~Eleanor