Chapter Thirteen | Temptations

Micah defenceless to the sight of Sandra when she walked into the hotel banquet hall. His attention was on her, the conversation he was having drowning into the background. He had been anticipating meeting her again. The dressed wrapped around her like it was made for her curves and her hair was twisted in a low and flirtish manner. He had told himself that it was an invitation to thank her. He ignored the facts that were screaming at him. Drowned the unwanted thoughts.

He lied to himself for her.

Micah sighed rather loudly, grabbing the attention of those around him. He had lost composure and he hadn't even had a chance to talk to her.

"Is there a problem, Dr Lykos?"

"I just remembered some paperwork that I forgot to do earlier that's waiting for me on my desk. You know how it is," Micah lied. Lying to people was something that Micah had done for years. It was a matter of self-preservation. No one could know about his family. The last thing they needed was humans trying to capture them. That would only end in bloodshed, for them.

Micah waited a few moments, bidding his time until he could excuse himself politely from the crowd. He tracked her down knew the open bar with a glass of red wine in her hands. He didn't have patience to stay away from her and wait for her to approach him like he usually did. Micah didn't chase women, usually.

"Dr Williams, it's lovely to see you again," Micah formally greeted. He didn't want to scare her away but at the same time wasn't sure what boundaries she would set for them. He respected women. Just because he was also an animal, it didn't mean he had to behave like one all the time.

"It's lovely see a familiar face," Sandra replied. Micah watched as her gaze wandered, nowhere near his face. With heels, Sandra was at a comfortable height next to Micah. He didn't feel as if he was looking down on her but rather, she was his equal. Micah was offered a refill of his drink, which he accepted.

"How about I introduce you to some people?" Micah offered. He didn't want to leave her side. He loved her yellow dress, perhaps it was her favourite colour as she also had a yellow umbrella the day they met. It reminded him of sunflowers, no, nothing like that. She was like daffodils.

Strong.

Resilient.

A new beginning.

"Oh, I couldn't impose," she answered. Micah could sense the internal debate that Sandra was having about him. You don't live as long as him and don't learn how to read people. The skill was vital for survival and keeping his secrets.

"You wouldn't be, as I'm volunteering and there is no Dr Jones to dictate." The snide comment about Sandra's asshole boss seemed to do the trick as the corner of her mouth turned up. The explicit instructions to make sure that Sandra was the one who attended tonight. He wouldn't put it past Dr Jones to try and pull something. Micah offered his arm to her.

"Well then, I would love to meet new people." Sandra placed her arm in his, accepting the opportunity he was giving her. Micah knew many people, even if they didn't all know him. He was a very important link to the world, since his brothers preferred to hide in the darkness.

Micah did as promise and introduced Sandra to an array of people before she took over, leaving his in the side-line. She smiled, held conversations without his help and generated a memorable impact on all the people they met. She brightened up the time he spent with all these people. His hand eventually went to her back, as she leaned into his touch. His family stayed in the dark, but he was lucky enough to be here.

He bathed in her light, underserving.

The sat on the same table for the dinner, with some individuals that Micah didn't care for. Ordinarily, Micah would know where he stood with a woman, but Sandra was a temptation that left him baffled. There was something drawing him to her that he was unable to tear away. The more time he spent with her, the more addictive he became. He didn't want this evening to end.

After dinner, they mingled some more. Micah didn't leave Sandra's side and she was reluctant to pull away from him too. Eventually, the fundraising gala started to unwind as people started to leave. Time was running out; however, this wasn't a Cinderella story where Sandra disappears into the night. He was no prince. This was no fairy tale.

"Sandra, would you care for a nightcap?" Micah and Sandra had lost the formality somewhere along the night, his hand on her lower back as they walked out the hall. There was a bar on another floor and Micah was unwilling for the night to end with Sandra was on the same page.

There was the unknown drawing them together.

"I would love that," Sandra responded. The lift doors opened, and they were lucky enough to get the whole lift to themselves. Her scent was exquisite, beckoning him to closer. Unable to resist the temptation, he placed both his arms on either side of her, trapping her against the mirror wall.

"I won't do anything you don't want me to," Micah promised. He had learnt from experience that communication was key, so all participants enjoyed their time together. He wanted Sandra to want him as much as he wanted her.

"What if I want you to do something," Sandra flirted. She placed her hands on his chest, running them down the lapels of his black suit. Micah was ready to throw off his clothes to feel her hands on him.

"Then all you need do is ask." Micah was ready to offer her anything she wanted. She had captivated him in a way he hadn't been in a very, very long time.

Intoxicated.

"How about I show instead of tell," Sandra teased, unbuttoning his suit jacket. Micah strained to keep his hands to himself and allow her the freedom to roam. They needed to get to his room.

"Then the pleasure will be mine." Micah was enthralled by the idea. He pressed the button to his room, instead of the lobby.

Hands wandered.

Skin touched.

Hotel sheets tangled.

~*~

Use your Imagination for the rest.