Chapter Thirty Six | Hatred

MANY, MANY, MANY CENTURIES AGO

Her father hated her from the day she took her first breath. It was not a secret to anyone in the family. The man they called Father was as distant as the word they used. It came as no surprise to anyone when he forced them all to go on a little boat trip.

Rafael and Micah rowed the boat while Theron and Angelina huddled behind them. The man at the docks had given their Father a bag of gold and told them to go East. However, Rafael and Micah rowed West. They knew that the island to the East was a hell. Anyone send there, was never seen again and as good as dead. So they rowed West, since death was the end of the line either way.

Their Father counted the gold coins with glee while occasionally shouting at his sons to row faster. The gold was going to be used for Wine. It was only a matter of days before Father ended up drowning in a pool of his own vomit.

It was a prayer upon Angelina lips every night that Father didn't come home.

He did, unfortunately.

Their Father was a walking unfortunate event waiting to happen. Another was about to unfold due to his impatience since his last bottle ran out not too long ago.

"Ungrateful shits, are you taking us in the right direction?" He shouted. He stood up, stumbling a bit to try and grab the compass from Rafael's hands and add a few more bruises to his body. Today was a fortunate day though, for Theron shouted, "Land!"

That was enough to make their Father sit down again. The island was not East but it was better than spending anymore time in a boat with him. Rafael and Micah picked up the speed with renewed energy with the goal in sight. It wasn't long before the boat was pulled onto the beach. They all jumped out, except their Father, exchanging looks with each other.

"Go now, you two get back inside the boat," he commanded. The stood silently waiting for him to leave. It was a protest without words. They learnt long ago how to communicate without sound.

Their Father attempted once more to get command Rafael and Micah back into the boat before giving up and shouting at the to push the boat back to sea. His parting words to his children were, "It's your funeral."

Rafael grabbed Angelina hand and Micah's hand while Micah grabbed Theron's hand. They stood watching as their father slowly rowed away.

Further and further away from their life.

Deep down inside they all knew it was actually their Father's funeral since they doubted that he would be able find his way back to mainland.

"Will we see Father again?" Angelina asked, breaking the silence. They had all heard Father bartering with the man. The man promised a higher price for twins since they were so rarer and a deal was struck to leave Theron and Angelina on East island. With Rafael and Micah's quick thinking, the manages to evade it all.

"If we are lucky, no," Micah replied. Today they had all been lucky. Even if they were to die in a week, it would be a week of paradise.

That was the only confirmation that Angelina needed to tug Rafael towards the lush forest. The siblings ran together, not letting each other go in this strange place. The time spent exploring full of joy and laughter. This island seemed to be a hidden paradise with no other humans in sight. An unspoilt luxury hidden from the world.

Fortune shun upon them once again as the found an cave. A dark, cold, damp cave. The sun was disappearing rapidly when they decided this was the perfect spot to settle.

"I'll take the first watch and then you can take the second watch," Rafael instructed Micah. He had checked the cave before allowing the twins to settle with the remaining light. The cave was dark enough that the light didn't seep in and disturb Micah from sleeping.

"Brother, won't you be tired too?" Angelina asked, tugging on Rafael's hand. Regardless of her twin status, Angelina and Rafael had a strong bond. Since their mother passed away, he was the only one able to spare affection for her against their Father's wishes. Micah and Theron tried their best too, however the punishments were too high and they were far to young to withstand them. Today was the first day that they had all stood in unity against their Father.

"My tiredness is of no problem when I know you are resting and well protected," Rafael replied, patting down on her blonde hair. Angelina was the only child to have the golden hair of their mother. She was an Angel in her mother's mind. Her only daughter, her only star. It was a shame that she left the world far too early for any of their liking.

"Today was the best day ever," Angelina mumbled, rubbing her tired eyes. They were used to physical labour but the emotional labour had tired them all out. The taste of freedom was sweeter than anyone could've imagined.

"Yes, yes it was," Rafael agreed. He guided her inside the cave. Theron had collected giant leaves as makeshift blankets from the evening breeze. He was already asleep. Micah shifted upon hearing movement. However, Rafael assured him that it was only them and urged him to get more sleep.

Angelina took her own leaves and covered herself. The leaves already provided more warmth than she had ever got at home. For once in her life, she didn't have the same pray on her lips. In heart, she believed her Father to be dead at sea. The feeling blossoming in her chest was light. The feeling of hope.

That night she slept with a smile on her face for the first time since her mother had left the world.

Hope made all the difference in a new beginning.

~*~
Go ahead and cry little girl, I know you got daddy issues.

IG: randomsweetstuff