12. In Space

It's been a week since we left 2046. Lenny, Sara and I are sitting in the cargo bay playing cards. We convinced Sara to join us. My brother is here too. He's not so happy.

He throws a knife into the wall, with an angry scream/roar. "I'm done." He announces.

"Don't mind him. He's still sore about having to leave 2046." Lenny tells Sara. I pull the knife from the wall behind me and hand it over to Chucky.

"I'm sore because I was recruited for my unique ability to light things on fire. And now, I'm locked in the one place where I can't light things on fire: a spaceship." He explains himself, then he starts walking away.

"Where do you think you're going?" Lenny asks him.

Chucky turns around. "Why? You gonna clock me in the head if I don't listen again?" He gives Lenny one last angry look before walking away.

"Everything okay with you two?" Sara asks Lenny.

"Yeah, peachy." He replies.

I laugh a little. "Funny, it's like you actually believe it."

He gives me a look, but doesn't say anything. Then the head pops up. "Ms. Lance, Ms. Rory, Mr. Snart, you are needed on the bridge."

I put the cards down, kind of relieved, since I was about to lose. Then we walk to the bridge.

"So what's going on?" I ask Reaper. Everyone else is already on the bridge. "Gideon intercepted a deep space transmission." He explains.

He shows us a video of a woman, she looks like a timemaster. "Systemic malfunction. I'm stranded, unable to jump. Control's unresponsive. This is Captain Eve Baxter of the timeship Acheron, requesting critical resque."

"She can't just say: I'm in trouble, come and help me?" I wonder.

"She's too fancy. And she's kinda hot." Sara replies.

"I would just say 'come and help me'. Does that mean I'm not fancy?"

"Don't know." She says. "But you're definetly hot." She adds with wink. I know I have a big smirk on my face at this point.

"Stop that!" Grim Reaper shouts.

"Anyway, we care about this chick why?" Chucky asks.

"We don't." Reaper says. "But the Acheron's computer will contain the current intel on Savage's whereabouts. Gideon, set a course for the Acheron's position in deep space."

"Yes, Captain."

Egghead is enjoying this. "Deep space? I had no idea we had the ability to explore the unknown realms of the galaxy. Astonishing."

I shake my head. "No. What's astonishing is that we're acting as roadside assistance for the people who are chasing us."

Lenny agrees. "Doesn't it all seem a bit suspicious, this distress call just happened to reach us?"

The kid nods his head.

"How do we know it's not a trap?" Birdgirl asks.

"We don't, but what we do know is that Savage's trail has run cold. And unless Gideon can upload the data from the Acheron's computer-"

Chucky cuts Reaper off. "I'm in."

This causes both Lenny and I to look at him in suprise. Lenny is the one to speak up. "You are?"

He nods. "The sooner we end Savage, the sooner I get back to where I belong."

"Prison?" Egghead asks. I give him an angry look.