Chapter 3: Dead Man's Party

Kat's POV

On the way back to the institute Clary would not shut up about losing Simon. I understand that it's imperative that we get him back but Izzy already feels bad enough and I could tell Alec was getting annoyed.

"I still don't understand. How can Shadowhunters be better than..." Clary ranted, "than what you people call mundanes?"

"Because we protect humans," Izzy answered.

Clary scoffed. "You're right. Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys. You rock."

"God, Clary. Enough," I snapped.

"There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense," Alec said, his tone portraying boredom.

"Alec, not now," Izzy snapped at her brother.

Jace, trying to play peacemaker, said, "look, they won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out-"

"They will trade Simon for the cup," I said cutting in. "We don't have time for coddling. The vamps were part of Camille's outfit, which means Simon will be at the Hotel Dumort."

"And we came back here? Why? We have to go there," Clary asked. "Let's go, now. Come on."

"We need a Clave resolution for that," Alec said.

"The five of us can't declare war on the vamps all by ourselves," Izzy explained.

"And we can't react without considering our options. Downworlders are slaves to their impulses. We're not."

"Alec, you can't just jump on all the Downworlders," Izzy defended her Seelie 'Contact.'

"Oh, that's right. Seelies have their charms, apparently."

"So do Warlocks," I butted in.

"Seelies?" Clary questioned.

"Like faeries. The Fair Folk," Jace explained.

"Don't forget pixies, nixies, elves... anyone half demon half angel," I said, taking over the explanation. "It's a catch-all term."

Alec went on intending to get a jab in at his sister but she took it with grace. Meanwhile, Clary grew fed up with our playful banter and started to walk out the door. Jace was able to reel her in by mentioning that Simon would get killed if she went alone. She walked back to the table, made a speech about Simon's suffering, then asked if we understood what that meant. The four of us shared a look and apparently, Jace took that as a sign that we were behind his stupid idea. He wanted to go to war against the Vamps. He tried to justify it but it was a big grey area on all sides. Alec asked about weapons and of course, Jace had an answer for that.

Clary drove us to the nearest church. We were in search of a Shadowhunter grave under the name Mary Milligan. It was said to be a weapons depot. As the four of them were mindlessly chatting I kept my gaze focused on the headstones. Izzy soon left us for Meliorn, to get 'information' on how to get into Hotel Dumort. Alec searched over by the angel while Clary and Jace were having a private conversation. Not a minute later Alec called Jace over to him and they had a private conversation. I walked a few paces ahead of Clary but she caught up to me.

"Can I ask you a question without you biting my head off?" She asked, touching my arm.

"That depends," I said, turning around to look at her. "Are you going to make everything my fault?"

"I just want to know if any of it was real? I mean, I thought we were sisters. Did you feel that way too? Or was it just a lie?"

"It was real. As real as it could be anyway. Now isn't the time for this conversation. When Simon is safe and sound we can talk." I walked ahead leaving her to her thoughts.