Chapter 13: Together

Oikawa POV

"I love you."

The words slipped out of my mouth before I could stop them.

This isn't right.

What have I done.

He was supposed to say that.

Not me.

I squeezed my eyes shut, hands clasped over my lips, ignoring my shivering skin.

WHAT HAVE I DONE.

I didn't need to see his reaction. I could already tell what it was through my closed eyelids – he was repulsed. Obviously. Why wouldn't he be? I'm not his soulmate. I'm just his friend. To him, I'm just the conversation, not the topic. He hates me. I've ruined everything. I've ruined our friendship I've ruined any meagre chance I had with him –

Delicate fingers wrapped around my wrist, prying my hands off my mouth. I reluctantly fluttered my eyes open and – he had an empty sneer on his face.

Wait.

Wait no.

That wasn't it.

That was what I wanted to see.

I wanted him to be mad at me – so I had reason to hide away my feelings.

But instead, he smiled at me.

An earnest, real smile. A smile that told me everything as he wrapped his arms around me. "I love you too."

It was almost a whisper, but I heard it loud and clear, as if spoken directly into my head. And just like the breaking of dawn, sunshine pushed through the rainclouds in my head, filling me up with light, my body feeling weightless. Iwa-chan broke out in a wide grin as we both laughed, holding onto each other as if we were never going to let go.

"I thought you hated me," I whispered through giggles.

"It's impossible to hate you," He held me tighter, burying his head into my neck. "Strongly dislike, yes, but hate –"

I cut him off with a slap.

"Is it possible to take back a confession?" He muttered.

"Nope. You're stuck with me now."

"We don't even know if we're soulmates though!"

"Then why don't we find out?" Once again, the words fell off my tongue before I had the mind to stop them.

Iwa-chan cocked an eyebrow. "Smooth."

"Well, it's what I'm famous for."

"Shaddup."

"No can do chief."

"You're a dork. You know that, right?"

"Sorry, what was that? I can't hear you over that confession you just made to me –"

His lips pressed against mine, cutting me off and leaving me light headed. Sure, I've kissed girls before; it's not like that's anything new to me – but, at the same time, it was like I'd stepped into an alternate version of reality. His lips were soft – softer than I'd expected, considering things like 'moisturize' and 'lip balm' aren't exactly in his vocabulary. One hand held my jawline, the other wrapped around the small of my back, and if that wasn't cliché enough, I could feel the sun beginning to shine through my blinds, warming my skin and casting an ethereal glow over us.

As he pulled away, I felt my body lean further in, as if gravity knew I didn't want it to end.

His breath felt hot against my lips as his eyes fluttered open, his hands still staying exactly where they were.