Chapter 16: Important Phone Calls

Oikawa POV:

I wasn't going to cry over something as stupid as being stood up. No way. It's happened to me enough times to understand Iwa-chan probably has a good explanation for it – I'm just overreacting.

Moral of the story? Don't jump to conclusions.

Maybe he forgot the address of the café, maybe he got grounded by his parents, maybe he had some appointment booked for the same time and forgot to tell me. But I'm his soulmate; he should know to tell me these things, right? Or did he lose his phone?

Okay, so just because he might have an excuse doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be angry at him.

You: um quick question, where the fuck were you?

I waited minutes, hours, but he didn't respond. Was he busy, or just ignoring me? I groaned, thumbing the screen so it moved up and down in a somewhat hypnotically distracting pastime.

That was when I noticed it.

A mistake.

It has to be a mistake.

Right?!

You: where are you?

That was the message I sent at around 4:30 while I was waiting at the café, less than 10 minutes after I'd gotten there. The one he didn't respond to. So how . . .

You: where are you?

Read 4:34pm

My stomach plunged.

I laughed lightly, shaking my head at my own stupidity. Just because we're soulmates doesn't completely destroy the fact that he hated me for so long – how could he possibly love me so suddenly? It only makes sense for him to be busy doing something else. Why would he want to spend his precious time hanging out with just . . . me?

Angrier at myself than at him, I let out a groan. Of course I'm not his top priority; that would be stupid. Who puts the boy they hated so much since elementary school at the top of their list? He probably got a call from a friend and thought they were a far better source of entertainment. Hell, I would too if I were him.

For what felt like the umpteenth time that day, I let out a drawn-out sigh, repeating in my head: just take a shower. Clean off your worries like dirt. Forget about it. Forget about it.

Forget about him.

Matsukawa POV (wow POV change midway through a chapter? That's new):

"Since Iwa's not at school, do you want me to call you Shittykawa in his place?" Makki tilted his head at Oikawa, who simply flipped him off.

"Where even is he?" I hummed, turning to the brunette beside me.

"Don't know don't care," Oikawa rolled his eyes, posture rigid. "Not responding to my texts so he may as well be dead."

Makki glanced at me, raising a brow as he bit into his lunch. "And that's . . . a good thing?"

"Like I said, haven't got a fuck to give." Oikawa stood up and walked towards the fence lining the rooftop, arms crossed over his chest.