Chapter 7: Again

Iwaizumi POV

As promised, Oikawa wasn't at school the next day. We didn't have practice at least, so it wasn't that hard to get through the day without him, but there was still something nagging at the back of my mind.

I decided to do the stupid thing of turning to Matsukawa and Hanamaki for help.

"What's up?" Matsukawa said, poking a straw into a juice box.

I sat cross-legged beside him, the cold concrete of the rooftop seeping through my slacks. "You know how Oikawa is away today?"

Hanamaki glanced around, as if looking for something. "Oh. Didn't even notice."

I rolled my eyes. "As if. It's been so quiet without him."

Matsukawa thought this over, then shrugged. "That's true."

"Why's he away, anyway?" Hanamaki lay back on the floor.

"He's sick."

They stared at me.

Then looked at each other.

Then stared at me again.

"Oikawa." Matsukawa repeated. "Sick. Oikawa is sick."

"Yes."

"Pfft, yeah right!" Hanamaki snorted.

"Sick my ass," Matsukawa laughed. "He's immortal, he never fucking gets sick."

"Exactly!" I nodded. "He's obviously lying!"

"But why?" Makki rolled over onto his side.

"He's probably jerking off or something."

"You don't need a whole day to jerk off."

"He's going next level."

"X Games mode."

I watched in utter disappointment as the two went back and forth with their ridiculous commentary. That eventually lost my interest, so I tilted my head skywards, watching puffy clouds glide past. I never normally do this, but I was bored and Matsukawa and Makki were now discussing the cinematic masterpiece that was the Titanic (or at least . . . "Draw me like one of your French girls," Makki said as he put a hand on his hip), so I started making shapes from the clouds.

A dragon, a horse's head, a human figure with an open mouth.

As if accompanying the last image I saw, a piercing scream echoed across the rooftop, the hair on the back of my neck pricking upright.

That's when I realised Matsukawa and Hanamaki were no longer sitting beside me.

I bolted to my feet, desperately scrambling around the corner to –

Hanamaki had the brunette in a headlock as he struggled to get away.

"Let me – urk!" He squeezed him tighter.

"You ate my fries motherfucker. This is payback."

I rubbed my face with a sigh.

I'm way too young to be a father.

Sitting with my back against the wall as the two boys tackled each other in front of me, I pulled out my phone. There was a notification from . . .

My eyes widened as I hastily opened it.

Trashykawa: Sorry, I lost my charger