Chapter 20

Chapter 20

       My sleeping schedule still hasn't gotten any better. I tried my best to sleep but no matter what, I kept getting nightmares about my time living with Neeta and Sujan. Both times; when I was a toddler and when I went back recently.

       I was trying my best not to fall asleep in class but sometimes, I just wanted to rest my eyes for a bit and then the next thing I knew, I was out cold.

       My teachers didn't seem to appreciate me sleeping in class. Each of them told me if they caught me doing it again, I was going to get detention.

       And I really couldn't risk getting detention for any reason.

       When the last class finally ended, I went to my locker to put my stuff away and to grab whatever I needed for homework. Once I had everything I needed, I closed my locker and rested my head against the door with a heavy sigh. I was so exhausted.

       "Wow, you look horrible today," I heard Webster say.

       I didn't even look at him as I said, "And you look horrible every day."

      "Rude. But for real, are you okay?"

       "Yeah. I'm just tired. None of my teachers really like it when I sleep in class."

       "I know, right? You know what I normally tell them? If school isn't a place for sleeping, then home isn't a place for homework. Though, that could be why I'm failing English..."

       I snorted as I looked at Webster. "Don't tell me you actually don't do your homework."

       "Who wants to go to school for six hours and then have to do schoolwork at home. Not me, that's for sure."

       "People who want to pass. Speaking of, aren't you graduating this year? What's going to happen if you fail English?"

       "Oh, shit, you're right." Webster sighed heavily. "I can't even ask any of my friends to help because they're dumb."

       "You have friends?"

       "What about you? You only talk to your siblings."

       "That's--" I cut myself off when I realized that he was right. But it wasn't my fault I didn't like making friends because I moved around so much in the foster system. I was even afraid to get along with my siblings because I didn't want to eventually say goodbye to them.

       At least now, I never had to worry about being taken away from everyone I loved.

       "See?" Webster asked. "I'm right. So how are you at English?"

       "It's my best subject," I said. "Why?"

       "Wanna help me today? I have a reading comprehension quiz tomorrow and I don't know shit from the short story I read."

       "Dude, I'm a sophomore. I don't think I should be the one teaching you, a senior, English."

       "Please? My friends are too stupid to help me and I really don't like my English teacher so I can't ask him for help."

       "Shouldn't you be better at English since you're named after a dictionary?"

       Webster glared at me. "You know what? Forget I asked."

       He started walking away and before I could even stop myself, I said, "No, wait. I was kidding. Well, partially. Look, I can't promise I'll be any help but I can try."