Chapter 28

Chapter 28

       Despite Jerome saying Kingsley would calm down soon, it didn't seem to be happening. He still seemed pretty mad at me for whatever reason. He was refusing to talk to me and he wouldn't stop glaring at me.

       It definitely got worse by the time it was dinner. Jerome was able to convince Nolan to come downstairs and have dinner with the rest of us, but that might have been a bad idea considering Kingsley was giving everyone a headache.

       Or at least confusing everyone with his attitude, and I didn't think Nolan wanted to deal with the confusion right now.

       Kingsley kept purposefully asking literally anyone else to pass him salt or pepper or anything despite it being right beside me. 

       Eventually, Nolan said, "Kingsley, I don't know what's going on with you, but can you please stop asking everyone else to pass you something when it's right beside Arjun?"

       "Oh, have they been?" Kingsley asked. "I never noticed. My bad."

       Everyone could tell Kingsley was being sarcastic, but no one bothered to question him.

       At least, not until Makenna said, "Is it me, or is there some tension going on here?"

       "Tension?" Kingsley repeated. "No, definitely not. There has never been tension within our family. After all, we love each other so much and wouldn't stab each other in the back. Right, Arjun?"

       He really wasn't going to let this go any time soon.

       "You're being melodramatic," I said.

       "No, I think I'm reacting perfectly fine," Kingsley said. "I'm reacting how anyone would react if their own brother stabbed them in the back."

       "I didn't stab you in the back," I said. "Whatever is going on has nothing to do with you. And like what Papa told you, there's more than meets the eye."

       "No, I think I got exactly what meets the eye," Kingsley said. 

       Nolan rubbed his forehead. "I'm getting a headache with all this arguing so can someone please tell me what's going on?"

       "Nothing," I said. "Kingsley is just being melodramatic."

       "You're being melodramatic," Kingsley shot back.

       "Oh, wow, what a comeback," I said. "I don't know what to say anymore. I'm just... I'm terrified."

       "I don't like your sarcasm."

       "And I don't like you thinking I'm stabbing you in the back, so looks like we're both out of luck."

       "If you two are going to keep arguing, can you at least wait until I'm back upstairs?" Nolan asked.

       "Sorry," I said. 

       Maybe I should just tell everyone what the issue was. I wasn't afraid to tell them I had a boyfriend or anything. After all, I had, you know, two dads. It was pretty much impossible of getting a negative reaction from my family.

       It was the who my boyfriend was that was making me a bit hesitant to tell them. Nolan and Jerome would be fine with it. Jerome already was. Anuhea would be. I was certain Cerise would be too. She was a very forgiving person and as long as someone genuinely apologized, she was okay with it.

       I wasn't sure about Makenna and Liberty, though. They didn't seem particularly fond of Webster.

       "Does this have to do with why the principal called about Kingsley and Arjun?" Nolan asked Jerome.