Chapter 21

Chapter 21

       I stared at the letter in my hands, my breathing beginning to hitch in my chest. My anxiety was starting to get bad, but it wasn't up to the point where I was going to have a panic attack. I just wasn't feeling all too good reading this letter.

       All this letter was doing was reminding me that I was going to have to relive my trauma from living with Neeta and Sujan, and with some of my foster families. I was going to have to tell everyone in the courtroom about all the unsafe homes I've been in. About how Jimmy put me back with Neeta and Sujan even though he knew they weren't able to get custody of me again.

       I put the letter on my nightstand before sighing heavily as I laid down on my bed. The hearing was going to be during school hours, so my siblings wouldn't be able to come. The only one who got to come was Anuhea since she was pressing charges against Jimmy as well.

       At least my dads were going to be there.

       Though Nolan said he might have to tie Jerome's hands together, otherwise Jerome would try to flip off Jimmy, and the jury if they sided with Jimmy.

       Honestly, I would be tempted to as well but that was definitely not the best thing to do in the middle of a court hearing.

       I was a bit bored right now, but I didn't really know what to do. Most of my siblings went out since it was Friday night. Kingsley and Makenna both went to a party, and Liberty and Cerise decided to take Anuhea out around town for some sister time since Anuhea hasn't really seen the city yet.

       Kingsley asked if I wanted to go with him and Makenna, but I didn't think I could handle being at a party. Not only were they normally very crowded, it would have been way too loud to me. I got sensory overload at times so I always tried my best to avoid loud, unbearable noises.

       My cell phone suddenly beeped with a text message, so I grabbed it. Once I saw who it was from, I ignored the text until another came in so I guessed I had to answer it.

 Once I saw who it was from, I ignored the text until another came in so I guessed I had to answer it

       I got out of bed, putting my phone into my pocket. I grabbed a sweater and pulled it over my head before I left my bedroom and headed downstairs. Nolan and Jerome were in the kitchen; Nolan was baking something and Jerome was trying to help, but Nolan wouldn't let him.

       Jerome wasn't the cook of the family, constantly mixing up things us simple as teaspoons and tablespoons, not to mention he was always trying to eat the batter.

       "Can I go out somewhere?" I asked. "A friend wants to hang out."

       "Yeah, of course," Nolan said.

       "Be back by two in the morning," Jerome said.

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "My curfew is ten-thirty."