𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎 - The Marvellous Marriage

Veronica sat next to Violet behind stage, wearing a purple swing dress with a rose hair clip in the side of her hair. She sighed as she clenched some of the fabric into her fists, there was no where they could get out of this one. Olaf had fooled everyone and now their lives were risk from a silly play. "What are we going to do?" She whispered to herself. "There has to be a way out of this..." She felt a hand intertwine with hers and Veronica looked to see Klaus, giving the same sad expression towards her. She nodded back at him. "It'll be okay, we'll be fine in the end. You're right, there has to be a way out of this." Violet said. "Me and Klaus have searched through the entire Nuptial Law book, I didn't see anything that could help us." Veronica cried. 

The music to the beginning of the performance began to play, making the three young children nervous. "Justice Strauss, may I-" Olaf gripped Veronica's shoulder tightly. "Don't talk to her, brat." He spat. Veronica only nodded in response, her breath shaking. Klaus tightened his grip on Veronica's hand as Veronica let out a small smile from the connection. "I'm just worried about Buttercup..." She sighed. "But I know she can handle herself." Veronica thought.

~~~~~~~

The play went on for hours but only to end with the wedding scene. The wedding music began to play as the bald man shoved the three kids out of their seats. Veronica let go of Klaus's hand as she followed Violet out onto the stage with a look of sadness upon her face. She faced Justice Strauss, who showed a look of stage fright. "Say your line..." Olaf whispered. "Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?" Justice Strauss blurted out. Olaf did a grim smirk before signing the paper, saying "I do." Veronica sighed with tears flowing. "We're done for..." She mouthed to Klaus. "Man, do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband?" Justice Strauss said to Violet. Violet looked to Olaf, who was shaking the radio in his hand. Violet looked at Veronica and Klaus, who only nodded towards her which gestured for her to sign the paper.

Violet took the quill and signed the paper. "I do..." She finally said. Veronica gripped Klaus's and Violet's hand in fright and sorrow, shaking a little. "By the powers vested in me, by going to law school, I now pronounce you Count and Countess." Justice Strauss said and the music raised again. Veronica sighed again, gripping the Baudelaire's hands tighter as she tried to reassure them. Olaf gestured for the band to stop with a smirk. "Ladies and gentleman, I'd like to make an announcement. There is no need to continue with tonight's performance." Mr. Poe started to clap when no one else did, making Veronica snigger a little. "For it's purpose has been served. This has not been a scene of fiction, my marriage to Violet Baudelaire is perfectly legal and I am now in control of her entire fortune." Olaf announced as the audience gasped and murmured in response. 

"That can't be true!" Justice Strauss exclaimed.

"On the contrary, Judgikins, the law of the land clearly states that the bride must say 'I do' and sign the appropriate document in her own hand. And all of you, ladies and gentleman, are witnesses." Count Olaf responded. "Violet is only a child. She's not old enough to marry!" Mr. Poe yelled over the crowd. "She is if her legal guardian allows it, and in addition to being her husband, I am also her legal guardian." Olaf smirked. Veronica felt tears falling down her cheeks, Olaf had won and now he was in control of the fortune. "Wait, no...there is a way out!" Veronica whispered to herself. She remembered, Violet had signed the document with her left hand! She was right-handed! Veronica smiled heartfully and Violet saw it, knowing what she had found out.  

"But that piece of paper's not an official document. It's...it's a stage prop!" Justice Strauss argued. "If you look closely enough, I think you'll see that it is figuratively real."