{FL| Rumi}

It had been a few months, almost 8, since [Y/N] had met Takuto. He welcomed her into her friend group, introducing her to Rumi and Shibusawa. They had been great friends, almost perfectly fitting the friendship dynamic: [Y/N] as the kind sweetheart, Maruki and Rumi as the purest couple, and Shibusawa as the lovable idiot. Though on the ninth month they knew each other, a horrible tragedy had occurred.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Y/N] walked inside the hospital room with worry painted on her face, holding a carton of apple juice and a bottle of Ramune. She spotted Maruki in the chair next to the victim's bed, also seeing a chair available on the right of his. Though she stopped in her tracks as Maruki began to speak to the victim, even if he didn't get a response.

"How are you feeling today, Rumi? Sorry I came empty-handed, but I'm sure [L/N]~san got you something nice! I've been so busy with my research lately, I haven't had the chance to pick up any part-time job... I know- I'll buy you flowers the next time I come."

She hid behind a curtain in the room, wanting to listen to Maruki talk to Rumi, or rather himself. Though something inside her wished for the exact opposite. but she pushed it aside. He sounded happy yet desperate, poor Maruki.

"Do you remember that wildflower field we use to go to, back in high school? You really loved it there, didn't you? Oh-would you prefer if I brought you some snacks instead? Which should I bring, sweet or salty? I know you like both, so...Actually, I have some news for you today."

News, huh? Hopefully, this would help her get to know more about Maruki's situation, as he wouldn't tell her anything beforehand.

"So first: I finished my paper. The other thing is.. they caught the culprit. He's in police custody now. You don't have to worry anymore."

Rumi raised her head a small bit, surprise in her eyes. [Y/N], on the other hand, felt a bitter rage boiling inside her. It was unusual from the way she normally would feel but it felt as though something snapped inside of her. Feelings like this weren't her norm and she knew that. But it didn't stop her from being angry. She hated whomever had done this to her friend, she wanted him to feel the pain Rumi did as she thought that however, a migraine hit her.

"Of course, that doesn't mean everything's over and done with, but things are going to proceed as they ought to. My "cognitive psience' is the study of people's heart, and how they guide people's views of the world. Everyone comprehends the world in a different way, depending on their cognition... So basically, if one could tap into a person's ''cognitive world'', one would even be able to alter how that person views reality-in every way. That's what my paper's all about..."

To think, he'd being researching the same thing as her at the same time. He had a good way of describing it, no lie about that, but she had a different way of expressing it. She thought about coming out, but decided to listen further, hoping for more details.

"Heh, here I am, going way over your head with this stuff just like always... But anyway-I've recently met someone who thinks my research could be fruitful. If everything moves forward as planned, they may even fund my work. At that point, I'd be the first professional ''psientist'' in the world."

[Y/N] almost snickered, he thought he'd be the first one. Well, there would be a challenge waiting for him for that title of "first psientist'. Though he was close to potentially having his work funded, she wondered if she could ask him about it, but that would give away the fact she had been eavesdropping.