Chapter 26

After school Friday, we finish packing our bags for tonight and tomorrow, and I try not to think about the reason why. The only thing I'm looking forward to is picking up Simon because he is a good distraction from everything else. Especially the car ride since sitting in the back doesn't do anything good for my stomach.

When we get to the motel, Derrick reserves two rooms next to each other.

"We have a room with a double bed and a room with two singles," he says after being handed the keys. "Who wants what?"

"I don't want to share a bed," Devyn says right off the bat, and that solidifies the decision.

"We'll take the double," I tell Derrick. I don't mind sharing a bed and I think Simon would rather share a room with me than anyone else.

"Okay. I'll hold onto the key in case of an emergency and so I can get you up in the morning," Derrick replies. "Now, let's drop our stuff off and we'll go find somewhere to eat."

I have even less of an appetite now because I'm so nervous about tomorrow, but I haven't eaten anything all day and I know I need to eat at least a little something. So, we take our bags to our rooms and meet Derrick at the car to go find food.

By the time we make it back to the motel, it's almost nine and I'm feeling a little tired, but I also need to take a shower. Simon shows me where the shampoo and soaps are before leaving me to take my shower. I make it quick, not wanting to spend too much time standing around, thinking about what's to come tomorrow. I do feel a little better when I get out, though. I go ahead and throw on a t-shirt and pair of sweatpants to sleep in, then I join Simon in the room.

"Bathroom's open," I say.

"I took a shower this morning," Simon replies and I hear the mattress squeak a little as he moves. "I'm fine."

"Okay. Which side are you taking?" I ask, referring to the bed, so I know which side to get in on.

"Right," he says, so I move to the left side and pull the blankets back. As I lie in bed, I no longer feel tired, I can only think about tomorrow. Simon moves next to me, getting under the covers and asks, "You okay?"

"I don't know if I'm ready for tomorrow," I admit to him. "It's going to be hard."

"I know," he says and goes quiet. I feel him move again and he shifts closer to me. His hands move to my face to cup my cheeks and he gently caresses his thumbs across my skin. I lean into his touch, enjoying the sensation. Then he presses a chaste kiss against my lips. His hands on my face spark an urge in me, something I never would have had the guts to ask before, but now...

"Simon?" I speak his name, my voice nearly a whisper.

"Yeah?"

"Can I ask you something that might be a little weird?"

"Go for it."

I pause for a moment before I get the courage to actually speak my next words. "Can I...feel your face?" I know it sounds weird, which is why I hate asking it, but I really want to. I want to feel what Simon looks like after all this time of speculating.

"Oh, yeah, sure. That's not weird," Simon assures me.

"Well, it's not a common thing people ask each other," I reply with a chuckle.

"Yeah, but considering the circumstances, it's not weird."

With Simon's reassurance, I feel a little better about this. I move my hands up, being careful not to accidentally hit Simon in the face and feel for his jaw. His skin is super soft and smooth to the touch, not even any hair. As I feel his jawline, I notice that it is sharp, I can feel the bone easily, but it doesn't curve as sharply. My fingers glide up to his cheeks and I'm surprised to find he has high cheekbones. From his cheeks, my hands move upwards to his brows. They feel slender. I think back on the details Lexy described to me as I feel different parts of his face and realize she was pretty spot on with everything. His nose is slender as well and his lips are a little plumper than mine. "I have another question for you," I say as I remember Lexy describing him as appearing Asian.