Bad Problem Solving Methods

Ruby and Leah were almost back at the Snow Kingdom. Just another day or two and they would arrive. Both were nervous about that. Hanamaru had alerted the kingdom that Ruby was going to be arriving with Leah. They didn’t know how that would be taken, though.

Leah couldn’t help but worry they wouldn't approve of Ruby. They had never informed her parents that they had started dating. Leah knew they probably wouldn’t like it very much. Her parents wanted a “proper” marriage, as they put it. Leah had witnessed them basically shoving that idea down Sarah’s throat.

“Leah?” Ruby grabbed her hand, “You okay?”

“Yeah… just a little nervous.” Leah replied, trying to smile at Ruby.

“About what?” Ruby questioned.

Leah sighed, “Well… my parents don’t know we’re dating and… I don’t think they’ll approve of it.”

Ruby didn’t say anything. She squeezed Leah’s hand reassuringly. Ruby was confident they could get through whatever they were dealt. They’d find a way to convince her parents that them dating wasn’t a bad thing.

“Do you think I can really do this?” Leah whispered, “I don’t know much about what to do. Nee-sama was always in charge of most tasks. I… I’m scared I can’t live up to her expectations.”

“I’m sure you’ll do fine.” Ruby said, “It’s okay to struggle a bit. No one should expect you to be perfect at something you’ve never done before.”

Leah rested her head against Ruby’s shoulder, “But that’s how people treat royalty.”

“They do?” Ruby was confused.

Leah nodded, “At least, our kingdom has that expectation. It’s all the talk whenever someone in the royal family messes up.”

“Oh…” Ruby wasn’t sure what she could say to that.

“I’m scared I’ll make a fool of myself.”

“I’m sure we can get through this. I’ll help you as much as I can.” Ruby said, “I know how to do some stuff, so maybe that’ll help us.”

Leah didn’t respond. She let out a sigh and buried her face into Ruby’s neck. Ruby didn’t know what else she could do to help. It was obvious this was really getting to Leah. Though, Ruby wasn’t the only one who could tell that.

Sarah hadn’t crossed over yet. She was refusing. She didn’t want to leave Leah all alone. While she knew it wasn’t wise that she showed herself, if it would help Leah, then she’d gladly appear.

Sarah wasn’t sure if she should appear now. Would it be a bad idea? The knights with them may hear her, after all. Sarah sighed and resigned herself to having to wait until Leah was alone. Alone did include if Leah was with Ruby. Sarah wouldn’t mind appearing before the two of them.

“Leah? Do you want to stop for the night? It’s getting pretty dark outside.” Ruby asked.

“Sure…” Leah mumbled, not moving from her position.

“You have to let go so I can tell them.” Ruby said softly.

Leah sighed and removed herself from Ruby. Ruby glanced her over with concern. Leah gave her a shaky smile. Ruby smiled back. She could see Leah was faking the smile, but didn’t want to pressure her to talk right now.

Ruby moved and spoke to the knights driving the carriage. After a few minutes of discussion, they stopped the horses. Everyone settled down with a small fire. One of the knights made some food over the fire and another was boiling water over another fire.