The Past Revealed

The trip was a long one. It was going to take a while to reach the Snow kingdom. Everyone was doing their own things.

“Kanan?” Dia called.

“Hmm?” Kanan hummed as she looked at Dia.

“How did you meet Maru?” Dia asked.

It was a dark and stormy night. Kanan had just managed to escape the prison. She was fleeing into the darkness back to her house. As she ran, she heard crying. Kanan paused and stared at her surroundings. She had no clue where the crying was coming from.

The crying got louder and now a taunting voice joined in. Kanan followed the sound of the voice. It was hard to hear it with the rain making noise. Kanan approached a small shack at the edge of town. There was a man beating up a child.

Kanan clenched her hands into fists. She hated when people picked on the younger children. The man was yelling at the child for stealing his flowers. Kanan growled and ran at the man as he tried to punch the child again.

“Leave her alone!” Kanan screamed as she beat the man away from the kid.

The man soon retreated into his house. Kanan turned around and knelt down beside the child.

“Hi, my name’s Kanan. What’s yours?” Kanan asked.

“H-Hanamaru.” The child hiccuped.

“I’m gonna take you to my house and get you cleaned up.” Kanan stated and picked up Hanamaru.

“I’m not a child… I can walk.” Hananaru whined.

“You are a child.” Kanan stated.

“I’m not. I’m just cursed to remain at this age for eternity.” Hanamaru huffed, “I’m over a hundred years old. If anything, you’re the child.”

“Then why were you bawling your eyes out at that man instead of fighting him?” Kanan challenged.

“I’m not very strong. I’m stuck with the strength of this body.” Hanamaru said.

“How are you so old?” Kanan asked as she reached her house.

“I’m a witch.” Hanamaru stated.

“A witch? I’ve never met one of those before.” Kanan’s eyes sparkled with childish curiosity.

“You aren’t afraid of me?” Hanamaru blinked in surprise.

“No. I don’t believe those stories.” Kanan stated.

“I really should go. It’s a bad idea to be around me.” Hanamaru tried to leave.

Kanan blocked her exit, “Stay. It’s still pouring down rain.”

“One night.” Hanamaru said.

“One night is fine.” Kanan agreed.

That one night deal was a lie. Kanan walked Hanamaru home the next day and then continued to visit her often. Eventually, Kanan moved in with her.

“So, you just kinda bugged her a lot and she became friends with you?”

“Pretty much. She was always tense around me. She assumed I was going to turn her in once I gained her trust. After I proved otherwise we started becoming friends.” Kanan explained.

“How old is she now?” Riko asked.

“Um… somewhere close to 200.” Kanan said.

“Yō, where are you from?” Mari asked.