Rescuing Mari, Again

It had been half a month since the attack. The Tempest kingdom had arrived with their knights. They were able to gain some ground on the rebels. Mari was still being held captive by them. They were making demands for her release. All the demands were things they did not want to give to them.

Since that day, they had all been planning on what to do to get Mari back. They didn’t think tricking the rebels would work. They seemed to be extremely cautious of them. This mission would be hard. They had to stealthily take Mari back without anyone noticing.

The problem was figuring out who was to go and do it. They weren’t trusting any knights to do it. They needed them here as it was. Kanan wasn’t allowed to go. Hanamaru wanted to go with whoever went, but she was hesitant since she was needed to heal. They wanted someone with magic to go so they could use it to their advantage. If they could turn invisible, they might be able to do it easier.

No one knew what to do. There were too many “what ifs” going around. They didn’t know what to start trying to work with. Eventually, they decided to just make a plan and stick with it.

The rescue group ended up being Sarah and Yō. They needed one more person. No one could figure out who it should be, though. After a lot of bickering about it, they eventually relented and let Dia go as well. They didn’t want her going, but they really didn’t have a choice.

They were going to set out in two days. They had a lot to do to prepare for this journey. While it wasn’t a far one, it was going to be a very long one. They had no idea how long it might actually take them to get Mari. They might have to stake out for a week just to learn the schedule of those who are guarding her.

It also wasn’t very helpful that Sarah was still learning how to use her magic. She couldn’t do too much yet. They wouldn’t be able to rely on her for too much help because of that. Sarah was trying her best to learn some useful spells for the journey, but with how hectic things were Hanamaru barely had time to teach her anything.

Sarah sighed as she looked out a window in her bedroom. She hated that she wasn’t able to help them that much. She stared out at the sky. It was just turning to dusk.

A knock sounded on the door. Sarah turned around and went to open it. Outside her room stood Nozomi. She smiled at Sarah and asked to come inside. Sarah hesitated for a moment, before she let her in. They hadn’t told Nozomi that Sarah was going because she had magic. They didn’t want her to find out. But, little did they know that Chika had told her back when they had first met.

“So, first, I was wondering if you would maybe like me to join your party?” Nozomi said, “I can help out a lot more with magic. I know how to fight as well, so don’t worry about that. It seems you could use the help.”

“We’re fine.” Sarah stated.

“I’m not too sure about that. You don’t seem to have much knowledge on your magic. Don’t you think someone more experienced would be useful?” Nozomi replied.

Sarah turned pale and froze in place. She had no clue how Nozomi knew about her magic. She didn’t know how she would take the news.

“Oh… you weren’t aware I knew?” Nozomi asked, “That cat, Chika, right? She told me.”

“Y-you don’t m-mind?” Sarah asked.

“Not at all. As long as you’re not using it for selfish reasons, I don’t really see a problem with it.” Nozomi said.

Sarah let out a sigh of relief, “Thank god…”

“So, may I join you guys?” Nozomi asked again.