The Vision is True

“Hey! They’re launching the attack!” Chika called into the room where Dia and Riko were staying.

“Okay!”

Chika then left them to go tell everyone else.

“So, it’s begun.” Riko said.

“Yep. I hope this will be an easy victory for them.” Dia nodded.

The two of them were still awake. Neither wanted to sleep with the impending battle. They wanted to know what happened. They were sitting on the bed quietly. Neither of them knew what to do while they waited for Chika to return with the final verdict of the battle.

After a while of waiting, the door to their room opened up. A person stepped in the room. After a few seconds, they both realized who they were. It was a knight from the Diamond kingdom.

“You guys aren’t the only ones with knowledge of where to find a witch.” The knight growled.

Dia and Riko stood up. They didn’t know what to do. They had no weapons on them. The knight had a sword. He started to approach Dia. Riko threw herself in front of Dia. The knight let out a growl.

Riko didn’t move. She stayed in front of Dia. She had no desire to let the knight get to her. Riko wasn’t letting him get through to Dia. She’d die first. She had sworn to protect Dia and she was still keeping it even if that promise was made when they were still in the Diamond kingdom.

“Get out of my way!” The knight yelled and then he charged.

His sword went through Riko’s chest. It narrowly missed her heart. She could’ve died on impact if it had, but now she was going to suffer a slow and painful death. Riko couldn’t even scream. All that came out of her was a gasp.

“Riko!” Dia cried out as Riko fell to the floor when the sword was removed from her.

“Now that she’s out of the way, it’s your turn to die.” The knight advanced toward Dia.

Dia stood frozen in place. The knight kept getting closer and closer. Dia was ready to accept her fate, when suddenly the knight let out a cry of pain. He coughed up blood. Dia looked behind him as he fell to see Yohane was there holding a bloody knife. Dia barely acknowledged her and just fell to her knees. She flipped Riko over to her back.

“R-Riko…” Dia cried.

“I-it’s okay…” Riko mumbled as she tried to smile.

“It’s not! You can’t die!” Dia cried out.

“I’m sorry…” Riko coughed up blood, “But… I’d rather it… it be me…”

“B-but… I need you!” Dia pleaded.

“You’ll be fine… without me…” Riko whispered.

“No! You can’t leave me!” Dia shouted as she slammed her hands into the ground in frustration.

“W-why are you so stubborn? You can’t change this…” Riko asked.

“Riko… I’m… I’m pregnant…” Dia said, “That’s why I’ve been sick every morning… remember when we used that potion… well, this came out of it.”

“I’m sorry…” Riko’s eyes slowly fluttered shut.

“You can’t die! What about our child!? They need you too!” Dia knew it was futile, but she kept pleading.

Riko took one last ragged breath and then fell still. The room fell silent. Dia sat there, frozen in place. Tears were streaming down her face. She didn’t make a single sound. She didn’t even register Yohane hugging her.