9

The sun slowly began to rise, Vanessa nuzzles into Chip's chest as they rested together. Vanessa was now half-awake enjoying the quiet, the only noise being Chip's steady breathing. She was happy. Everything felt right in the world. But her world came crashing down when she heard the gun cock.

Chip lets out a groan as he stretches, letting out a loud sigh as he opens his eyes. He turns to the side to give Vanessa a kiss but he is greeted to an empty bed. Maybe she went for breakfast. He sits up out of bed, putting on his underwear before going into the bathroom. When he walks out, he notices Vanessa's fishnet leggings on the ground making him chuckle. He places them into his bag knowing she was going to want them for later. He gets dressed and pulls out his phone to call her. He turns his head, hearing the ringing coming from under Vanessa's pillow. He furrows his eyebrows, wondering why she didn't have her phone. He looks around the room, realizing all of her things were gone. Did she leave? The car was still parked a few blocks away. He sighs going back inside unsure of what to do next. He then notices a piece of paper on her nightstand. He opens it, his stomach dropping from reading those two words. I'm sorry. She left. He runs his hands through his hair. He felt his heart rate rising as he tried to blink away the burning in his eyes. She was gone. After everything we went through, how could she just leave? He packs all of his things, unsure of what else to do. He lets out an exhale seeing Vanessa's bear on the floor under her bed. He feels a tear run down his cheek as he places it in his bag. He closes the hotel door, his bags in his hand as he walks down the street after dropping off the key. "Hey, did you happen to see a girl leave here this morning?" I ask the front clerk, hoping he knew which way she went. "Yes, a man came by earlier to pick her up, said he was her brother" This makes Chip look at him, "Wait what?" "Yes, a Hispanic male came by asking for your friend" Chip's mouth dries up, the hairs on the back of his neck stand up, "W-what did he look like?" Chip asks, praying it wasn't Mikey. "He had tan skin, a weird cut on his eyebrow, and a skull tattoo on his neck. I think he was about your age" Fuck. "Okay thanks," Chip says but he hesitates, turning back around toward the man. "Do you know where the closes gas station is? My car ran out of gas last night" He smiles, "You're in luck" he says handing him a red bucket filled with gasoline. Chip sighs in relief thought kind of curious why this guy just so happened to have gas with him. "Good luck" The man calls as Chip rushes away.

After filling the gas tank, he takes off out of town, heading back to Arkansas, sure that they were heading back. But he then gets a call from Vanessa's phone. "Hello?" He says, hoping it was Vanessa. "Chip?" He hears her whisper on the phone. "Oh god, I thought I lost you. I'm heading to Arkansas now" "No no, he's taking me to California. We're at a gas station right now. I don't have much time. Listen, I'm gonna get out of here okay? So I need you to find my aunt, I was supposed to head to her house when we made it so out need to understand her okay? I'll meet you there" She then proceeds to give him an address, "I promise that everything will be okay" Chip exhales, hating that she wasn't with him right now "I'm so sorry this happened Vanessa," She sniffles, "Don't worry, I'll be fine. I'll try to call you when we make it" she says then hanging up the phone. "Fuck!" He yells in anger as he drives off the freeway. There weren't any cars in sight as he drives through the grass field that separated the highways going north and south. He takes the correct highway to California and he starts his journey to rescue Vanessa.

Vanessa rushes to delete the recent call log so Mikey doesn't know what she did. She hides it in the back seat before sitting back down, watching him walk out of the gas station. He enters the car, tossing a bag of chips on Vanessa's laps. "Eat up baby, you'll need your strength" Vanessa clenches her jaw, "I'm not hungry" she doesn't look on him but she can feel his stare on her. He reaches over and yanks her head back by her hair in anger, "I didn't fucking ask, now eat before I blow your fucking brains out" he lets her go, starting the car as she tried to fight the tears.

"You have the money, why couldn't you have just left me there" Vanessa speaks as they continued their journey to California. "Because you're mine, baby. It's gonna take some time to forgive you for the shit you pulled but I can't hate you forever" he tries pinching her chin but she moves away, not wanting to be touched by him, "Aw, are you mad that I took you away from your boyfriend?" He lets out a spiteful chuckle, "You should be glad I let him live because if not he wouldn't have been able to see the light of day again" he says and Vanessa clenches her fist, wanting to kill him.

Chip was worried about what would happen when he finds her aunt. Hell, he was worried about a lot of things. He needed to find Vanessa. He was scared of what Mikey would do to her.