The Aftermath

Kon'nichiwa minna! Welcome to chapter 7 of Kitsune no Akuryo. Danzo-sama has provided the most dastardly of tests to assess Kitsune's loyalty. In the rush of battle, Kitsune is victorious but at the loss of his long time teacher and mother, Chō-chan. As Kitsune descends into darkness, he sees a lean boy. Could it be Kinoe or is that only wishful thinking?

Kitsune's P.O.V.

    I awoke in my cabin and leaned forward from my bunk. For one crazy moment, I thought that I had had a crazy dream in which I had fought Chō-chan and killed her. My throat closed up at the nightmare, but as my throat contracted, I felt bandages wrapped securely around my neck. I tentatively put my fingers to my neck remembering that horrid part of the dream when Chō-chan had cut my throat open. The thin lines of the bandages could be felt. As I looked down, I caught sight of the bandage on my right shoulder. I now remembered that part of the nightmare as well, that was where she had first struck.

     All at once, I realized that these memories weren't from a dream at all. I had lived them. Chō-chan was dead and by my hand no less. My throat contracted as I sucked in a breath, preparing to cry, but that hurt all too much so I tried to hold it in and silently let the tears fall.

     After a moment, I realized that these tears weren't burning hot. I was about to ask the Nine-Tails if it was being nice for a change, but didn't get the chance when Kinoe walked in.

      He gave me a small smile before saying in a dull voice, "Danzo wants to see us in his office."

     I nodded and got up trying not to agitate my neck as I moved.

     We walked to Danzo-sama's office. It was becoming a habit I wasn't too fond of but one which I knew would not go away. Hachi was at the door today. We stated our business and were let in without too much fuss, at least as far as I'm concerned. We walked up to Danzo-sama's office, and, upon seeing us, he gestured to us and said, "Follow me."

     I mutely followed Kinoe and Danzo-sama down into the depth of ROOT and further into the Experimentation Floor. My hair stood on end, but I knew there was no escape. I kept my head down and awaited Danzo-sama's instruction.

     I recognized that familiar door which housed another doorway beyond it. Inside the room stood a lone table. My hands began to itch at the sight of the metal brackets awaiting to bind me. I got up the courage to speak then, 'Danzo-sama.'

     That's what I meant to say, my master's name, but no words came out. I opened my mouth again to form words but Danzo-sama was already talking, "Lie down, Kitsune."

     I tentatively walked forward, brushing my torso against the table and looked up at Danzo-sama in fear.

     "Get onto the table, Kitsune," came his calm collected voice.

     I gingerly climbed onto the table feeling the muscles in my shoulder and throat tense and strain as I pulled myself up. I closed my eyes not wanting to see what happened next. I heard Danzo-sama's voice, "Kinoe, leave. Guard the door."

      Footsteps rang throughout the empty room as Kinoe left. I opened my eyes then and looked directly at Danzo-sama. I couldn't be scared. If he saw fear, what would stop him from taking the Kyūbi out of my right now? What if this was my last chance to prove myself as a worthy vessel? What if Danzo-sama was planning on taking the Nine-Tails out of me and took me here for that reason, and he would only stop if I showed that I was worthy of the Kyūbi. My clawed fingers gripped the wooden table as I looked at Danzo-sama.

     His eyes passed over me for a moment before he pulled my uniform up and thrust his five pronged fingers into my abdomen. The pain was excruciating. I could feel the Kyūbi's chakra boiling inside me trying to gain control. I remember gasping and almost convulsing as I tried to scream. Ragged breaths left my empty mouth instead.