Chapter 1 - Hello, Surigao. Goodbye, Pampanga

"Why are you breaking up with me?! Why do you always insist on going back to that city?!"

I heard Dad shouting at Mom and asking her the question I expected him to ask. They've been like this for two months now.

My Dad has been a land broker for eight consecutive years and he's about to quit working because he's diagnosed with Glioblastoma multiforme. He's been vomiting blood, and suffering facial weakness and double vision. The doctor who examined Dad told us he only has two months to live, as the cancer has already spread throughout his whole system. It's very sad for me, but what makes it even sadder?

This whole bullsh*t situation that Mom is breaking up with him! Like, what's with Mom? Can't she at least consider Dad's situation, even just as part of his life until his last breath?

I know in my heart that Mom is up to something fishy. She's actually the President of the University of Surigao from her homeland. Before, though she's busy, she still managed to spend time with us. But lately, it seems like she's hiding something from us, and maybe today, I'll find out what it is. Despite having someone she always talks on the phone, Mom seems happy but I don't know why. At this moment, I'm just hoping they'll be okay because I don't want them to separate. I've always wanted us to be perfectly together, just like we were before.

"I'm in love with someone else, Lucio," Mom answered.

Upon hearing those words, I was left motionless. I just didn't know what to do or say. But in my mind, I wanted to stop Mom from saying such things, especially now that Dad is not feeling well.

It hurts to think that Dad has spent his whole life doing his best to make Mom satisfied with everything. Iyon din ang gusto ko 'cause I consider myself a perfectionist; I want everything to be just right and to match my taste. But now, I feel guilty about it.

"You're joking, Marlene. Please, huwag ngayon," Dad pleaded while hugging Mom.

Mom pushed him away, and that's when I knew I had to step in.

"Mom! Stop!" I shouted, helping Dad to his feet.

I felt bad for Dad, who loved Mom so much, only to be met with her disdain in the end.

"Isa ka pa! I told you before not to interfere! This our business to mind! Not yours!" she shouted back at me.

"Because you're wrong, Mom! I bet you knew that, considering you had the highest position in your prestigious school. And you called it a business? Mom, it's a family matter! Something to be taken seriously!"

"Well, I don't care about this family right now! I'm fed up! And now your Dad needs medical help and that's just disturbing!"

Sh*t! How could she even say that in front of Dad who's now crying? It hurts to see one of your parents in pain. I want to cry too, but I have to stay strong so Mom won't win with her desire to leave us.

"Mom, can't you see? It's Dad! For Pete's sake, he's your husband - the one you took vows with and a promise of forever! Don't you love him anymore?"

Mom stared at me, her expression filled with something like hatred. "I never loved your Dad."

"What?!"

Okay, I couldn't take it anymore. Suddenly, I felt Dad's cold hand in my chest, gripping my shirt. I looked at him and he's in pain. One hand pressed against his head, and it seemed like he was suffering from a terrible headache.

I was startled 'cause I didn't know what to do! But I held Dad's body to support him.

"Mom! Call an ambulance!" I shouted.