Chapter 15 - Richard's New Standard

Two days had passed since that incident. I bid Mom farewell, and she seemed genuinely happy about my plans for the future.

Settling comfortably into my seat, I glanced over at the couple beside me, their laughter sparks contrast to the turmoil I had just left behind. As usual, the soothing strains of Mozart's classical music enveloped me, bringing a sense of calm and clarity.

They say that when you truly want something, you'll find a way to make it happen. I was finally embracing what my heart desired, ready to chart my own path, free from the shadows of the past.

I glanced out at the azure ocean, memories of my time with Dona in Mabua flooding back. The sky stretched above me, clear as crystal, and in that expanse, I saw echoes of her genuine happiness. A smile curved my lips, but uncertainty tugged at my heart—would everything really be okay?

Leaving Surigao City was a choice I made to fill my heart with joyful memories. I yearned to return to my own place, missing it more than I could express. That destination felt like a refuge, a reminder of the simple, happy life I once had. It was where I could embrace my humanity, free from the weight of expectations.

I couldn't quite catch what the crew was announcing, but I saw them collecting tickets. I fished mine out, ready to step into this new chapter, hopeful yet apprehensive about what lay ahead.

Everything I could see felt like a perfect creation of God—the towering trees on the mountains, birds soaring freely through the sky, and the pristine white sand of the shoreline. This moment was nothing short of magical, and I longed to explore every inch of this beautiful place.

I was done with the life of luxury; it was time for me to embrace a life that was clean and green. The changes I had chosen to pursue weren't just temporary—they were for a lifetime. I didn't want to miss the opportunity to truly find happiness.

I had moved past my obsession with perfection; it was now just a chapter in my history. In this serene environment, I felt a sense of liberation, ready to embrace the beauty of imperfection and all the joy it could bring.

When I finally reached my destination, I scanned the surroundings, taking in the fresh, cooling winds that caressed my skin and the vibrant new environment that captivated my senses.

As I followed the directions on my paper, I noticed people glancing my way, their expressions wide-eyed and curious. I smiled at them, but my mind was preoccupied, searching for someone special.

Then I spotted it: a simple house standing proudly, exuding warmth and love despite the absence of wealth. My heart skipped a beat as I recognized the familiar figure of a woman—someone I had always wanted to love. She was a true role model, radiating kindness as she fed a young boy nearby.

Gathering my courage, I cleared my throat softly, hoping to catch her attention.

"Richard?" she exclaimed, clearly taken aback. Perhaps she couldn't believe I was really there.

I smiled warmly. "Hey... you little... messy witch."

Her face flushed a deep red as she tried to regain her composure. Just then, the boy beside her tugged at her arm. "Manang... kaon pako," he said, reminding her he hadn't finished eating.

She turned back to the boy, gently feeding him as she called out for someone—her mother. I watched as her mother's eyes widened in shock when she finally noticed me.

I waited patiently, my heart racing, for her to come my way. I could feel the anticipation building in the air, a mix of joy and nervousness.

"Chad? What are you doing here? How did you find my place?" she asked, her surprise evident. She looked a bit disheveled, but to me, it only added to her charm.