Chapter 14 - Mom asks for Forgiveness

Love makes people go wild. It stirs emotions deep in your heart, and once you fall, it feels like there's no turning back. But that's not always the case.

I had been holed up in my room for three days now, waiting for Mom to return. She had found her love, while I felt abandoned, just like Dad had been. The pain from my breakup with Dona lingered, a constant reminder of the betrayal I faced. She made me believe in her lies, and I had fallen for her charm, convinced she was different. But looks can be deceiving, and now I was left alone, heartbroken, grappling with the reality of her deceit.

I realized that one way to forget and start healing was to return to Pampanga. It felt like the only escape from the memories that haunted me, the only path toward moving on from the shattered pieces of my heart.

I received a message from Mom that she was back and at her office. Part of me felt relieved, but mostly, I knew this was it. I would go there to say goodbye. She would always be my mother, but I was determined to cut ties after today.

As I parked my motorcycle, I noticed students rushing by, their shouts echoing down the hallway. It sounded like chaos or perhaps a fight. Curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to check it out. As I pushed through the crowd, my heart raced—what could be happening?

Gilbert stood there, his grip tight around my mother's neck, the blade of the knife glinting dangerously in the light. My heart raced, a mix of fear and adrenaline coursing through me. I felt paralyzed for a moment, the scene before me surreal and terrifying.

Other instructors were pleading with him to let go of Mom, their voices frantic, but he wouldn't listen. His words were loud and filled with anger, but the meaning behind them was lost on me in the chaos.

I strained to catch the essence of what he was saying. It sounded like he was venting his frustrations, accusations flying from his mouth. The crowd around us was tense, murmurs of fear and disbelief rippling through the onlookers.

"Can anyone understand what he's saying?" I asked, desperation creeping into my voice.

The guy looked at me and nodded. "Sabi niya, kailangan niya ng pera. Kung hindi raw magbibigay ang school o si Ma'am President, papatayin niya ito."

My heart sank at his words. This was no longer just a matter of anger; it had escalated to a life-or-death situation. I could see the fear in my mom's eyes, and it fueled my determination.

I tried to step up. "Nalagot nako sa imo! Let go of my Mom!" I shouted, using the words that Dona had taught me, meaning 'I'm angry at you.'

He laughed evilly, the sound chilling me to the bone. "Hoy! Amerikanong hilaw! Huwag kang manggugulo rito! Baka isaksak ko sa leeg ng babaeng ito ang kutsilyong hawak ko!"

I stepped backward, raising my hands in surrender. "Sorry, please, don't hurt my Mom. Just let her go, and I'll give you the money."

He shook his head vehemently. "Not your money, but your Mom's!"

"Buang ka, Gilbert! Dili nimo makuha imu gusto!" Mom shouted, her voice fierce despite the danger.

"Hilom!" Gilbert snapped, tightening his grip around her neck, a cruel smile on his face.

My heart raced, fear gripping me as I thought of what might happen to Mom. I had already lost my father; I couldn't bear the thought of losing her too. I didn't want to be left alone in this world.

"Mom, ali ka na sasabi. Iligtas daka," I said softly, trying to sound calm, though my voice trembled.

Mom's eyes were filled with tears, and I could see the fear etched on her face. Gilbert would pay for this, I promised myself. He would rot in jail for what he was doing!