Past

Chapter 04: Past

Ryan's POV

I smiled. It wasn't rare as I smiled once a day. But this one was genuine and was because of someone I haven't known for long. I was feeling so guilty for what I did yesterday. But it wouldn't have happened if my mother didn't curse at me. She was right, but it spoiled my mood.

Her voice calling me useless and burden kept vibrating in my mind. My brother laughing in the background. I learned to ignore it, but it still effects. It still hurts. That's when the boys dragged me into an empty classroom. I looked at them, having no clue about what was about to happen.

"You are the guy Stacey was talking about." One of them called out. I looked at him while the other kicked my knee, as a result of which I fell on my knees. Memories of people hurting me came back into my mind. My father came into my mind and I felt weak. He was my strength once, he still is, but the aftermath isn't it.

"Stay away from our batch." The other spat out while he punched me. There was no way I was fighting back. I gave up. That's when she came. Saving me physically. Her kicks and counters were worth watching. I could tell she hasn't been practicing. I thanked her with one word but what I meant was a lot more than that.

She was funny and I enjoyed the time with her. No, I don't like-like her but she's a good friend. It was funny how she came back to ask for coffee. I analyzed her at the cafeteria and could tell she was emotional. She was continuously on her phone and was texting someone. She smiled and giggled. Maybe it was her boyfriend. Maybe her friend.

However, I was uncomfortable when my scar was revealed. I tensed up. I didn't want her to ask me anything. And no, she didn't. I could tell my eyes distract her, but she didn't let her expressions take over.

I gotta stop now. I shouldn't think much about her.

I decided to hit the gym at night. So I went directly to home. Surprisingly, my mom was in the living room. She never was at home. I was happy to see her. "I didn't know you would be home early." I said as I kept my bag on the couch and went forward to sit beside her. I took sometime before speaking again.

She was reading some newspaper. "Today was good ma. I had to do this assignment with-"

"Stop it now, Ryan. Stop trying to make a conversation. Did I not tell you a thousand times? All you remind me is of your dead father. Get lost now." She said and turned her face, her eyes wet. The way my father left us was unpredictable. He was always a jolly guy. And I wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for his teachings.

"Mom, why do you think it's my fault?" I asked gathering up my courage.

"Cause if it wasn't for you, he wouldn't be out that day. It's all your fault. You have this energy to make everyone feel disappointed and to hate you." She said and got up to leave it wiping her tears. This is what I do.

I went to my room. I didn't cry. I hadn't cried since 7 years. Tears never come. I felt bad, that's it. It was 8 at night. Time for dinner. But I wasn't hungry. I didn't like to stay at home. I went to the hill side. Not the NY mountain view from stories. I could see the city from here. It is beautiful.

I sat there for over an hour, thinking about how life would have been different if he didn't go out to buy me a gift. It was a week before my birthday. He had to go to some business trip but he wasn't sure about whether or not he'll make it to my birthday. He would have made it, no matter what. But I wasn't old enough to understand that. That's why he went out to buy me something. But he didn't came back. He died in an accident.

I reached my pocket and brought out the Vegvisir. (Picture above. Also known as Viking compass) It was old and it's size was irrational. I embraced it with my fingers. Uncle Haans gave this to me, saying he found it in my dad's pocket. I believe this was what he bought for me.

I don't know where he bought it. Uncle Haans also asked me to keep this safe. Maybe because this was the last thing my dad wished to give to me. I kept it back in my pocket and got up to leave. It's time for some workout.

Annika's POV

I went home and Kaira was already there.

"Hey girl." I cheered as I locked the door. She looked devastated. "What happened?" I asked as I sat beside her.

"I messed up. Badly. I may lose the internship." She said as she held her head in her hands.

"Hey, it's okay. You'll get more chances." I said as I hugged her.

"Getting an internship in the very first year is not an easy thing Annika. You know that." She said and started crying. No one can ever understand the life she went through. She is one of the toughest people I know. I swear I would have been appointed in some rehab center if I were her. She's so strong and inspiring. I'm just glad I had her back since a long time. I couldn't ask for a better friend. No one could have turned out to be so good like her under the circumstances she grew in.

"Listen.." I said as I let go my grip. "You got this in the first place because you deserved it. Okay? Why don't you just negotiate with your professor?" I asked looking at her wet eyes.

"I messed up. I ruined 2 materials which were very expensive." She said trying to breathe.

"Okay, I give you 5 mins to calm down. I had a long day. Better stop crying by then." I said as I went to my room. I was out all day and was covered with dirt. Staying with her may not be a good thing. I stepped into the shower and came out as soon as possible. I slipped into pyjamas and a loose shirt and went out. Kaira was doing vegetables.

I went to her and took the knife from her.

"I can do it. Don't worry." She said and she looked at me.

"Oh no honey, heat the pan. I wasn't gonna let you rest." I said as she smiled. Finally. She then started telling me the details of what happened. We made some American dish, which honestly I don't know the name of, and served it on the table near the couch.

"Actually, you just have to apologise and see what happens." I explained to her. One should always accept their mistakes. And that can lead to good.

She nodded. I was about to eat when my phone rang. RYAN???

I looked at Kaira. She doesn't know anything about what happened today. I picked the phone.

"Hey, this is Ryan. Uh....I can't...um...come to college tomorrow. So the assignment..." He said as I nodded.

He can't see that dumbass.

Oh yeah. "Umm...okay. I mailed it to you anyway. I'll hand over. Don't worry. You fine though?" I asked as Kaira gave me a worried look.

"Uh... yeah... it's nothing." He took a second before speaking again. "Actually I added some stuff so...umm....you...you gotta read it again and my laptop's broken and I saved that stuff in my pen drive so I can't mail it either. I'm afraid you'll have to come and take it." I could hear his hesitation while saying this.

"You want me to meet you?" I asked, assuring. Personally I had no problem. I know this guy is kind of clean. And I'm way out of his league so...

"Yeah. Let's meet at college in 20." He said.

"At college?" I asked. Honestly, he could come here or I could go to his house. No offense. Not everytime you go to a guy's house, you come out differently.

"Yeah. People will be there, right?" He asked as I raised my eyebrows.

VOTE.COMMENT.SHARE

.
.
A/N
People will be there? He wanted to be in crowd. No, that wasn't a spoiler. It was more like a clarification. Why tho? Why did he want to meet at a place which has witnesses?
Story for next chapter! Thanks for the patience. Thank you. Stay safe. Love P.